Cornell Appoints Aimee Turner to Serve as Next University Controller

The University announced Monday that it has appointed a new associate vice president and University controller.

Aimee Turner, who will begin serving in her position on Oct. 17, will be responsible for leading the financial accounting operations for Cornell, according to a University press release. She will also be working to continue improving the user experience of Kuali, the financial accounting software for the University.

“After our rigorous nationwide search, I am very pleased that Aimee was chosen for this position and confident that we have hired a creative and energetic leader,” Joanne DeStefano, vice president for finance and chief financial officer, said in the release.

Turner currently serves as the chief financial officer and treasurer of the J. Craig Venter Institute, a not-for-profit organization that conducts research on genomics and infectious diseases. She has more than 20 years of experience working in not-for-profit research, according to the press release.

Expressing her approval of Turner’s appointment, DeStefano said she was also appreciative of Anne Shapiro, who has served as the University controller for nearly 20 years, according to the press release.

“Anne [Shapiro] leaves a legacy as a leader with selfless dedication to Cornell,” DeStefano said.

Shapiro, DeStefano said, is “noted nationally for her tax expertise, financial wisdom, energy and vibrant personality. Anne is a team player, respected by anyone who has ever worked with her.”

Original Author: Akane Otani