Mayor of Ithaca: Stay Off City Roads After 9 p.m. If Possible

Ithaca Mayor Svante Myrick ’09 is recommending that motorists, cyclists and pedestrians avoid “unnecessary travel” after 9 p.m. as a safety precaution as Hurricane Sandy strikes the area.

“Due to high and sustained winds I am officially recommending that no one travel on city streets unnecessarily after 9 p.m. tonight,” Myrick said on his Facebook page. “Unless you absolutely have to, please stay indoors tonight.”

Tompkins County is most concerned about downed trees and power lines from strong winds, according to a press release from county officials. As of 5 p.m., New York State Electric and Gas Corporation reported that 2,543 of its 11,228 customers in Ithaca  were without power.

The worst of the storm is expected to hit Ithaca between 10 p.m. and 2 a.m, according to a Tompkins County Press release.

Winds in the range of 30 to 40 m.p.h. are expected in Tompkins County, with gusts in the range of 50 to 60 m.p.h., according to the National Weather Service.

Strong, sustained winds in the area are increasing and forecast to strengthen further between 6:00 p.m. and 9 p.m.

In Tompkins County, some gusts will occur between 30-40 miles per hour, with gusts in the range of 50 to 60 mph as according to the National Weather Service. Open and higher terrain, as well as areas closer to water, will likely experience higher winds than more sheltered and valley areas.

As of 8 p.m., all TCAT bus routes were operating normal with no delays or cancellation of service anticipated, according to a TCAT press release.

TCAT passengers are urged to follow advice from Tompkins County and the City of Ithaca emergency managers to take precautions and prepare for high winds and heavy rains.

Original Author: Liz Camuti