FIELD HOCKEY | Red Splits Weekend With Princeton Defeat and Holy Cross Victory

This past weekend the Cornell field hockey team split a pair of home games at Marsha Dodson Field. On Saturday, the Red (8-8,3-3) lost 5-0 to the No. 2 ranked Princeton Tigers (14-1,6-0) and then came out strong the next day to defeat the Holy Cross Crusaders (2-15) 4-0.

Going into Saturday’s game, the Red had known the whole season that Princeton would be a tough opponent in the Ivy League. Princeton was roaring the whole game as it put 18 of its 25 shots on target  while the Red only managed five overall shots. The Tigers scored two goals off of penalty corners before halftime, and then scored one more goal midway through the second half, before notching a late pair of goals to make the score 5-0.

“It was a tough loss, we were fighting hard the whole game but unfortunately fell behind and let in too many second half goals,” said senior captain Genevieve Collins.

Even though the score was one sided, the Red was able to limit national point scoring leader Kathleen Sharkley to just one goal. Additionally, given that 25 were taken by the Tigers, junior goalie Carolyn Horner was impressive in goal, and managed to make five saves in one-on-one situations that a less talented keeper would have let in.

On Sunday, the Red returned to the field to face a Holy Cross team that had almost the exact opposite record as the Tigers. Cornell got off to a slow start, but built momentum quickly through the game, which resulted in a 4-0 victory over the Crusaders.

“We were able to get back to playing our game and working together as a team,” Collins said.

The goals were scored by juniors Brittany Thompson and Hannah Balleza, freshman Marisa Siergiej and sophomore Ann DiPastina. Thompson drew first blood as she scored off a rebound in the 14th minute to start the Red off on the right foot. Balleza scored the final goal and in doing so scored her 14th goal of the season, tying the Cornell single season record for goals scored.

Next weekend the Red will play its final regular season game at home against Dartmouth. Additionally, the Red will honor its senior players during the pregame ceremonies.

Original Author: Shayan Salam