Politicos Push for Candidates as Election Nears

Cornellians are gearing up for what they hope will be an exciting election night Tuesday.

Max Schechter ’14, director of public relations for the Cornell Democrats, said the organization is working to secure votes for President Barack Obama and will continue to make calls through Obama’s virtual phone bank website until Tuesday evening.

“It’s great to see people re-energized this semester,” Schechter said. “Hopefully, we’ll be celebrating Tuesday night.”

The Cornell Republicans campaigned for Rep. Tom Reed (D-N.Y.), who they said will easily win the race for for his seat in New York’s 23rd Congressional District, according to first vice chair Alex Pruce ’13.

“Student involvement is different for Republicans at Cornell because students recognize that campaigning for Governor Romney in New York is futile,” Pruce said. “New York is a solid blue state.”

Other students, including Ilan Rasooly ’15, took to social media platforms Monday to encourage their peers at Cornell to vote.

“We’re a smart bunch,” Rasooly said on Facebook of Cornell students. “If anyone is going to make an informed, intelligent decision, it’s us.”

A new student organization, the Society for Women in Politics, met Monday evening in Willard Straight Hall to discuss each candidate’s platform. At the meeting, executive board members emphasized the importance of voting, even in states that consistently vote for a certain party.

“Your vote still counts, especially for women, since we fought really hard for the right to vote,” said Julia Tishman ’15,  Treasurer of the Society for Women in Politics.

Despite many students’ interest in the outcome of the election, some Cornellians said they will not be voting.

“A lot of my friends aren’t able to vote because they didn’t get [their absentee ballot] on time,” Sam Ritholtz ‘14 said.

Other students said they forgot to fill out their voter registration cards or missed the deadline to send in their absentee ballots.

Some Cornellians, including Viki Collazo ’15, have not yet sent in their absentee ballots. Collazo said she is considering mailing hers in order to make her home state of Florida’s deadline of 7 p.m. on Election Day for absentee ballots.

Students particularly emphasized the importance of election results in Ohio.

“It’s the home stretch, and it’s all tied up,” said Adrienne Fishman ’14, co-president of the Society for Women in Politics. “It’s coming down to Ohio.”

Pruce echoed her sentiments.

“The election is going to be close, but I’m confident that Romney will be the next president if he wins Ohio,” Pruce said.

Regardless of the results, students said they intend to celebrate the election Tuesday night. Tommy Gauthier ’15 said he is planning a “rager” at his apartment in honor of the election.

“We’ll definitely be watching Comedy Central,” Gauthier said. “Jon Stewart does great coverage of the election results.”

Jonathan Kligman ’15 said he will watch the election results unfold on the television in his fraternity house.

“It’s cool to see how the house divides itself while we watch political debates, and I am sure arguments will arise during the election coverage,” Kligman said.

Others, including Alex Shipley ’14, said they were not as enthused about election night festivities.

“I’m going to hide in my room and wait for the political turmoil to pass,” Shipley said.“I’ve already voted, so there’s not much left to do.”

Original Author: Danielle Sochaczevski