M. HOCKEY | Coming From Behind, Red Tops Union

The Cornell men’s hockey team returned to action this weekend with matchups against RPI and Union. Friday night’s game against Union ended in a 3-2 victory for the Red, thanks to sophomore forward Brian Ferlin’s third goal of the season. The win marked the first time this season that the Red has won a game in which it entered the final period behind by a goal.

Union had a pregame ceremony to honor Shane Gostisbehere and Cornell sophomore forward Cole Bardreau for their gold medal-winning performances for the U.S. at the International Ice Hockey Federation World Junior Championships.

The Red struck early on in the game when senior defenseman Braden Birch set up a breakout up the right side to sophomore forward John McCarron. He set up Bardreau, who gave sophomore forward John Esposito the chance to score the first goal of the game.

Union then pulled ahead with two more goals in the first period.

Down by one entering the final period, the Red connected when senior forward Erik Axell set up sophomore defensemen Joakim Ryan for a shot in the center. It was blocked at first, but Axell was able to put the puck in the back of the net off the rebound.

Ferlin’s goal — the third and eventual game winner — came off an assist by sophomore forward Joel Lowry, on a two-on-one break up on the left side.

The squad was unable to follow up the come from behind victory with a win this weekend, falling to RPI, 3-2.

No. 16 Cornell (8-7-2, 4-4-2 ECAC Hockey) was behind the entire game as RPI struck in all three periods. The Red fought back with goals in the second and third periods off the sticks of McCarron and Lowry. Lowry scored the second goal for the Red, but the rest of the team could not capitalize on that momentum.

RPI (8-10-5, 3-6-3 ECAC Hockey) knocked in the first goal three minutes into the game when Nick Bailen capitalized on a pass from Jacob Laliberte at the goalpost.Greg Burgdoerfer was issued a five-minute major and game misconduct for hitting from behind and 37 seconds later, Cornell looked to convert.

Sophomore defenseman Joakim Ryan weaved through and passed to Mowrey on the wing. Mowrey drew the defense, and then passed to McCarron who chucked it past RPI goalie Jason Kasdorf.Play continued with some back and forth action between RPI and Cornell until at the 15:27 mark, RPI’s Ryan Haggerty scored to take the lead, 2-1.

The Engineers grabbed an additional point from the Red when RPI’s Mark McGowan found the back of the net with 7:46 remaining.Lowry knocked in his seventh goal of the season with 30.4 seconds remaining to put the Red within one, but that was as close as the squad would get.

Cornell finally returns to Lynah Rink next weekend for the first time since Dec. 1 with a nationally televised contest on Friday against Yale.

Original Author: Haley Velasco