Hagy, Wilk Named to FCS All-Freshman Team

Freshmen Luke Hagy and Zach Wilk were two of three players from the Ivy League named to College Sports Journal’s 2012 Football Championship Subdivision All-Freshman Team. The Red’s football team was one of just six programs in the country that had multiple players selected.

For Hagy — the Red’s main option at the running back position in the 2012 season — this honor is the second he has received in as many months. In December, he was named one of 20 finalists for the Jerry Rice Award, which is given to the national freshman of the year in the FCS. He is one of three running backs named to the All-Freshman Team, joined by Jake Hutson of Valparaiso and Ryan Heaston of Missouri State. Hagy finished the season as the Red’s leading rusher with 528 yards and seven touchdowns. He set a Cornell freshman record for all-purpose yards with 1,054 and was named Ivy League Rookie of the Week two times during the season.

Wilk receives this honor after beginning the season as the Red’s backup center. After senior Bob Bullington went down with a broken wrist, Wilk took over and started the final six games of the season. In the first start of his career, he snapped for senior backup quarterback Chris Amrhein in a win over Monmouth.

Original Author: Scott Chiusano