The Dapper Man: Valentine’s Day Edition

So, the day of love is right around the corner! Unfortunately, that’s bad news for those of you who have completely forgotten about it due to the encroaching threat of the first round of prelims. Never fear, because even if you can’t find the right present in time, you can still make sure your significant other feels significantly special by dressing up and taking her out! That way, you can bring her out to a romantic date, and she will be doubly proud to show you and your style off. Dressing nicer than any old day is going to demonstrate that you care. Here are the essentials for a Valentine’s Day-themed look:

The Color Red

Come on, it’s Valentine’s Day. The color red, or a different hue of it (maroon or pink, for example) should be the centerpiece of the outfit. However, this doesn’t mean that you should wear red everything. Red is a very passionate and vibrant color, capable of making your lady fall in love with you all over again, but also capable of being an eyesore when handled improperly. To do the former, only wear one red item, whether it be a red dress shirt, a red tie, a red scarf or even a red blazer. Avoid looking tacky or too over the top and don’t overdo it—  no matter how sexy you might think you look in a red suit.

Suit & Tie

Or maybe just a tie, if a suit seems like too much. If you’re the type of person who wouldn’t wear a tie except for very, very dire circumstances, then wearing a tie on Valentine’s Day will indeed impress your lady. And it doesn’t even have to be that formal if you wear the tie along with a checkered button-up shirt and a V-neck sweater. Layering always creates a very stylish and warm ensemble, which is quite appropriate for this tender but chilly day. Valentine’s Day is just for you and her, so dress formally enough to show that it’s a special day, but for the love of God, please don’t outdo her outfit.

The Little Things

If your significant other gave you a gift to wear at some point in your relationship, incorporate it into your outfit. Any watch or accessory that she bought you should definitely be worn to put icing on the already handsome cake. If she bought you a more substantial clothing item, then try to structure an outfit around that item, and see if you can pull one off that would look chic. People love to feel appreciated, so make sure to recognize her gifts.

Balance

Colors are important, but it’s even more important to balance them and tone them down with neutrality. The color red will most likely be the powerhouse color of choice, but that doesn’t mean it should overpower the rest of the outfit. As said before, try to limit yourself to one red item so that the color shines through, but doesn’t bog the outfit down. Red works well with white, black and gray, so try to keep things within those parameters. Express conveniently has its own guide to this momentous day, and Esquire magazine has a couple of outfits picked out just for the occasion.

I wish all you guys a successful and delightful Valentine’s Day.

Oh, and remember to wear some nice underwear— you know, just in case.

Original Author: Eric Ding