Fashion Friday: Winter Edition

As any fan of Game of Thrones knows, winter kind of sucks. Maybe you’re not under attack from white walkers, and maybe you haven’t had any run-ins with shadow assassins. But if you’re having the kind of time I am, you could probably be mistaken for a wildling based on the current state of your beauty routine. If going from the cold, dry air outside to the hot, dry air inside is doing your skin exactly zero favors, and your makeup just can’t stand up to the Ithaca weather, you know what I’m talking about. If you find yourself in a state of absolute disarray and don’t know where to go for help, don’t worry: that’s where I come in.

The Problem: You have a little beard of dry skin around your chin and mouth, and a red moustache under your nose from all the tissues you’ve been using.The Remedy: Resist the temptation to scrub away your dry skin –– this will just irritate it more! Before going to bed, apply Vaseline –– in metric tonnes –– to the affected areas. Allow it to sink in overnight. It will soothe your skin, heal the dry patches, and even out the redness. You might look embalmed after applying it, but when you wake up, your skin will be smooth and glowing.

The Problem: The skin on your legs and arms is scaly, dry, and itchy from the cold air.The Remedy: If your dryness is weather-related, there are some great solutions that can help. Try to look for fragrance-free, paraben-free formulas, which will be the kindest to your skin. Curel Ultra Healing Lotion for Extra Dry Skin is one of the best lotions around: it absorbs quickly, it’s unscented, and it fixes flaky skin almost immediately. If you’re looking for something a little more luxurious, try branching out to body oil. While many lotions can take a while to moisturize, body oils soften skin upon contact, and continue to do so for hours after they’re applied. Fresh Sugar Body Oil has a beautiful, subtle scent and leaves a glamorous light sheen on skin.

The Problem: The wind is so severe that your eyes are watering, your wimpy mascara is running down your cheeks, and everyone is asking you if you need a hug.The Remedy: First of all, get some stronger mascara! Maybelline Full ‘N Soft Waterproof is the ultimate waterproof formula that won’t feel sticky or tacky on your lashes. In fact, it’s pretty true to its name. If you’re working with a higher budget, try investing in DiorShow Blackout Waterproof: one tube lasts a long time, and it delivers a dramatic, flirty look in a single coat. Just be careful not to scrub too hard when you’re removing it, because it really clings to lashes!

The Problem: Your hair keeps getting in your lipgloss. Consequently, you have lines of lipgloss across your cheeks from where you’ve dragged strands of hair away from your mouth.The Remedy: Down with lipgloss! For the windier months, try a lipstain or a matte lipcolor. CoverGirl has a really beautiful range of lip stains that apply easily and fade evenly—none of that weird ring of color around your lips at the end of the day (try Teasing Blush, Scarlet Pucker, or Wild Berry Wink. Also try to ignore the cheesy color names.) Hourglass also makes an amazing stain, Aura Sheer Lip Stain, which comes in three perfect colors for every skin tone (the deep berry, Scarlet, is stunning on virtually everyone.) It stays on until you decide it’s coming off. I once tried it on my hand and it didn’t fade for twenty-four hours, which, if you are a lipstain novice, is freaking legit. You can also stain your lips by applying your favorite lipstick and blotting repeatedly—this works especially well with reds! If you absolutely must have glossy lips, try a thinner, less goopy formula, like Hourglass (Truth and Nectar are some great colors) or Givenchy (Vibrant Fuschia is gorgeous), which is less likely to attract your hair like a magnet, or Fresh Sugar Lip Balm, which comes in the most glorious range of natural-looking colors known to lip balm and features an addictive scent and taste.

The Problem: You’re a morning shower-er, but whenever you go outside with wet hair, you arrive in class with a head full of icicles. The Remedy: After years of shaking solid ice from my head when I arrived in class, I have finally found a solution to this problem. Once you’ve towel-dried your hair to the best of your abilities, add a few drops of an oil or cream (I like Olio di Jasmine—it helps your hair air dry with a nice sheen and smells like Jasmine tea!), sweep your hair to one side and make a loose braid. Insert your braid under your scarf and put up the hood of your coat, and let your hair dry naturally. You are on your way to pretty, wavy, non-frozen hair!

The Problem: The lack of sun is messing with your skin’s natural glow. You’re either naturally pale and currently look like an albino rabbit, or you’re naturally glowing and look like someone shut the lights off on your face. The Remedy: Embrace the paleness! Sweep on a pink blush and a bright red lip (try Benefit Dandelion with Nars Dragon Girl, or Nars Amour with M.A.C. Ruby Woo), and you’ll look like a ‘40s movie star. If you really want a golden tan glow, try a subtle bronzer-blush combo, like Nars Orgasm/Laguna. It’s a perennial favorite for good reasons (aside from its name)! If you’re naturally darker and your skin is looking dull, try a subtle luminizer, like Nars Illuminator in Laguna. It gives a dewy sheen that looks healthy without being obviously shimmery.

The Problem: You like having your nails painted, but you don’t have enough time to let them dry before you have to put on gloves.The Remedy: Nail stickers are a thing right now, and thank heavens for that. They are easy and fast to apply and require no drying time whatsoever. Sally Hansen makes some fun prints, but they generally don’t last very long before peeling up at the edges. Essie’s Sleek Sticks, on the other hand, lasted so long on my nails that I ended up taking them off because I was tired

of the print, not because they were peeling or coming off. They come in mesmerizing and flattering prints and textures, both bright and neutral.

Now that you’re armed with all the winter beauty knowledge you need, it’s time to get back on that horse and go forth with your gorgeous, moisturized face held high. Now you’re meant for the North!

Original Author: Emma Thanhauser