A small fire broke out at Cayuga Medical Center early Saturday morning, according to an Ithaca Fire Department press release. At about 2 a.m., IFD was called to the hospital when CMC staff noticed smoke coming from a storage room.
According to the press release, when IFD arrived, CMC security staff had already used fire extinguishers to contain the fire. The fire seemed to have started when a “burned-out” motor caught some cardboard in the room on fire, according to IFD.
The smoke was cleared after an hour, with few damages to the hospital. IFD estimated the damages at less than $1,000.
IFD lauded CMC staff for controlling the fire.
“The Fire Department credits the security and staff of CMC for controlling the fire and protecting their patients, by having an emergency plan in place and following it,” the press release said.
Original Author: Caroline Flax