MEN’S LACROSSE | Cornell Defeats Siena, Prepares for Dartmouth

Tuesday night, the Cornell men’s lacrosse team defeated Siena College, 17-9, in a home showdown at Schoellkopf. The Red improvesdits record to 8-1 this season thanks to the win.

“I think the team did a great job.We seemed to be clicking all over the field. I think the defense and goalies did a great job defending their men and saving shots we needed saved. We were poised in the clear and on offense we shared the ball, which led to good results,” senior Connor English said. “The bench was always very energized, and when other players had their names called, they were ready and stepped up.”

One of the highlights of the game was the two goals and three assists from senior attack Rob Pannell, which made him the eighth Division I lacrosse player to reach 300 career points.

“It has been a goal of mine for a while now, and it’s great to finally have reached it. It’s extremely humbling to be mentioned with the group of guys that have accomplished this feat, but it wouldn’t have been made possible without the great teammates that I have had over my years at Cornell and the great teams I have been on,” Pannell said. “Guys like Max Seibald, Ryan Hurley and Steve Mock, among others, have been on the receiving side of my passes and have scored many goals over the years and assisted me with many as well. This wouldn’t have been possible without my teammates and their hard work and dedication to success.”

Senior Steve Mock grabbed a team-high four goals and assisted on two, as well as English knocking in two and assisting on one.

“Personally, I contribute any of my success to the players around me, I would never get the ball if our defense didn’t play as well as they did,” English said. “It also helps having players like Rob Pannell, Steve Mock, Matt Donovan, Max Van Bourgondien and Connor Buczek, on the field with me to make my job easier.”

In addition, both freshman midfielder John Edmonds and senior midfielder Max Van Bourgondien grabbed a goal and an assist each.

“We have learned that we can’t show up and just win games but have to prepare with the right mindset and intensity to have success,” Pannell said. “We need to continue to do the things that found us success early on in the season and can’t take any opponent lightly. I think that is the theme of Division I lacrosse this year.”

Six other Cornell players — including senior Jake Thompson who scored his first collegiate goal — scored at least one point to take the “W” for Cornell.

“The win over Siena was a step in the right direction. … It was great to be able to jump out to an early lead and to get everyone on the sidelines in the game by the time it was over.  The sidelines do an unbelievable job with raising the level energy over the course of a game and work so hard in practice every day, it was nice to see them on the field and to be able to cheer for them,” Pannell said. “I think the team got the most excited I have ever seen after a goal when senior Jake Thompson scored his first ever goal. That’s what it’s all about.”

The guys on the defense helped keep the Red ahead.  Junior defenseman Tom Freshour caused three turnovers and won five ground balls and senior goalie A.J. Fiore saving five and only surrendering five goals in the first 45 minutes.

“From the start of the season we have really focused on doing the small things the right way. We also have all bought into the team system where one player does their job and trusts his teammates will do their job,” English said. “No person needs to try and do more then their job. Being a senior led team also helps I think. We also are taking it one game at a time and never overlooking an opponent.”

Cornell will continue play with an Ivy matchup against Dartmouth this Saturdayat noon on Schoellkopf.

“With any Ivy League game we always expect a tough battle. Any given day, anything can happen, and we know they are going to come to our house giving us their best effort. It should be a tough battle for 60 plus minutes, and we have to approach the game with a business like focus,” English said.

Not only will this game close out the Red’s home schedule, but the team will also honor its 16 seniors prior to the game.

“This year, anyone can beat anyone on any given day. We have to prepare for Dartmouth and come out on Saturday like they are the number-one team in the country,” Pannell said. “It is also our senior day, so emotions will be running high, but I trust that our senior class will continue to do a great job in leading this team headed into the game.”

Original Author: Haley Velasco