The Sweetest Way to Survive a Boring Class

Scrolling through food blogs with pretty pictures is one of my favorite ways to get through a boring lecture. The class ends so much faster when my attention is diverted by bookmarking pages of recipes I want to try out as I salivate over scintillating photos of cupcakes decorated like animal faces and plates of cookies. I’m not proud of this and I know that this isn’t the most productive way to get through lecture. I should be paying attention in class, but hey, girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do.

Recently scrolling through one of my favorite food blogs, I came across a recipe for White Chocolate Raspberry Cookies. They looked perfect. Golden along the edges with bits of raspberry mixed in, the cookies could be made quite easily as far as I could tell. It was a go.

White Chocolate Raspberry Cookies with Macadamia Nuts

Adapted from Big Girls Small Kitchen

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups frozen raspberries

1 tablespoon sugar

1/3 cup sugar

1/3 light brown sugar

1 stick butter

1 egg

1 1/4 cups flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 salt

1 cup white chocolate chips

2/3 cup macadamia nuts

First, preheat the oven to 265 degrees and bake the raspberries on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 35 minutes. Sprinkle with one tablespoon sugar and bake for another twenty minutes. Once they’re done, set them aside and increase the oven temperature to 350 degrees. Mix the butter and the white and brown sugar until smooth and whisk in the egg. Separately, mix the flour, soda and salt, and add it to the butter-sugar mixture. Pour in the macadamia nuts and white chocolate chips. Finally, add the raspberries to the dough by the spoonful, spread out so that there are individual dots of raspberries. Fold the raspberry in lightly without mixing it in completely. Make golf ball sized dough balls and arrange them about two inches apart from one another. Bake for about eight minutes.

These cookies were for the most part a success. They were soft, chewy and the tartness of the raspberry balanced the sweetness of the white chocolate perfectly. However, some of them did end up a bit like pink dinosaur eggs, a result of the raspberry being overly mixed in, which caused the bright pink juice to stain the cookie dough . To prevent this from happening,  lightly fold the raspberry into the dough.

Ladies and gentlemen, the product of a short attention span and an uninteresting class! You all know the feeling. Enjoy!

Original Author: by Kay Xiao