POLO | Riders Head to Nationals

The men’s polo team finished the regular season on a high note with a commanding 25-14 win over the Maryland Polo Club on Friday at Oxley Equestrian Center. Although the women also had a final regular season game scheduled for the weekend, the team’s match against the Baltimore Polo Club was cancelled, so the women took the weekend off from competition. Both teams are spending the week in Texas gearing up for the upcoming national championships.The men had previously played the Maryland Polo Club in early November and captured a 21-6 victory. Following this latest win, the Red extended its win streak to six games. The team’s last loss was a narrow 23-24 defeat at the hands of No. 2 Colorado State in the semifinals of the Bill Field Invitational in mid-November.  The No. 3 Red will face Colorado State again on Thursday in the first round of the national championship tournament held in Brookshire, Tex.The women had been set to play the Baltimore Polo club on Sunday in a rematch of the March 1 game between the two squads that ended in the Red’s only defeat of the season. Last week’s game against UVA was also cancelled, meaning that the women are heading into the national championships this week without having played a competitive match since the regional championships more than two weeks ago. The No. 1 women’s team will face the Western regional champions Washington State on Wednesday in the first round of the tournament, a matchup that the Red is favored to win.If the men’s team and women’s team advance past the first round, the teams will both likely face the defending champions UVA in the finals. The Cavaliers are ranked No.1 for the men, while the Cavalier women are ranked No. 2, behind only Cornell. In last year’s national tournament, the women lost to top-ranked UVA in the finals by a score of 17-13, while the men dropped to the Cavaliers in the semi-finals, 28-10

Original Author: Emily Berman