Eighth Annual Filthy/Gorgeous Embraces the ‘Gorgeous’

This year’s event expressed more of its “gorgeous” side than the “filthy one,” both by complying with the administration’s safety concerns and by embracing a theme centering on Ithaca’s gorges, according to Angela Lu ’13, planning committee chair for the event.

Lu estimated that about 900 students attended, a drop from last year’s turnout of more than 1,400 people. Responding to University concerns in previous years overthe large scale of the event, organizers scaled down the event this year, according to Lu.

This year, the event’s planning committee also focused on crowd control in order to dispel any of the University’s concerns about the safety of Filthy/Gorgeous, according to Lu.

“I think overall, the crowd was less rowdy this year,” Petralia said.

Lu echoed Petralia’s sentiments.

“The crowd was much better controlled this year, and everyone was having a great time dancing and enjoying the performances,” she said.

Although the event was staffed by three EMS crews and 11 police officers, neither party had to respond to any emergencies –– a change from past years, according to Lu.

“I even got a hug from the fire marshal last night, and I’ve never known that to happen,” Lu said. “If anything, for me personally, I think that was a sign of the event going well.”

The event’s organizers also increased ticket prices from about $3 to a price range of $10 to $13 this year to ensure people “didn’t just show up on a whim to party,” but instead stayed longer to enjoy the party, according to Dan Petralia ’15, production manager for Filthy/Gorgeous.

Aside from making safety-related improvements, the organizers implemented changes to the event’s overall atmosphere.

There was more gender and ethnic diversity in the performance lineup this year than in the past few years, according to Lu.

One of the performers, Manila Luzon –– a mixed-race drag queen –– was selected through a nominations process for the first time, Lu said.

The event planners also said they tried to put on a more elegant feel as opposed to the urban decor of past years. Moving away from chain link fences and graffiti, the planning committee focused on depicting the “gorge” element of gorgeous, putting up decorations that gave a feel of Ithaca nature.

Lu said that while the event focuses much of its attention on the LGBTQ community, it gathers a diverse array of students.

“The best part is that everyone comes,” Lu said. “It’s really everyone’s party and the most accepting of all genders and all sexualities.”

Attendees of the event reacted positively to this year’s event, agreeing that it was welcoming to all types of students.

Dayle LaPolla ’16 said she found the event accessible to all genders.

“I thought that it was really accessible to someone who doesn’t identify as LGBTQ, and it really felt like people from all walks of life coming together,” she said.

Three-time attendee Samuel Einbinder ’14 said this year’s event was the best one he attended.

“This year, I’d say Filthy/Gorgeous offered the best combination of entertainment, organization and overall ambience,” he said. “Overall, what’s most important is really what hasn’t changed about Filthy Gorgeous: it’s always open to everyone, it’s always a safe space and it’s always a great time.”

Still, Lu said some of the staff who were present in the past said they were offended or shocked by the behaviors at the event. She said the event could be shocking if someone was not prepared for what the event is, with many attendees who “dress and express themselves in ways that push the boundaries of established social norms.”

Einbinder said that Filthy/Gorgeous is a rare opportunity for the LGBTQ population to express themselves freely.

“I think it serves as a reminder to the Cornell community that there is a huge gay community and that we, like any other sect at Cornell, have our own unique way of celebrating our individuality and art,” Einbinder said.

Original Author: Dara Levy