SOFTBALL | C.U. Ends Run for Fifth Consecutive Ivy South Title

This past weekend, the Cornell women’s softball team found itself unable to stay in the running for what would have been its fifth consecutive Ivy League South division title. Although the Red was able to split its games on Saturday, rallying in the second match and ending the day with a much-needed win against Ivy League opponent University of Pennsylvania, Penn swept the two games on Sunday, leaving Cornell unable to pull ahead of the current South Division leaders.In its first game against Penn, Cornell was unable to even find a place on the scoreboard as the Quakers were able to shut out, finishing the game in a short five innings with a total of 13 runs. Penn maintained a hefty lead throughout the game, scoring six runs within the third inning and ending the game in the fifth inning after being ahead by more than eight runs. Cornell was only able to put up two hits against Penn pitcher Alexis Borden and struggled to capitalize on Borden’s errors on the mound.However, in the second game, the Red successfully rallied past Penn in the seventh inning. After maintaining a strong lead of 3-0 in the first inning, Cornell found itself trailing behind Penn once again after the Quakers were able to score in the third inning and falling behind, 9-6, in the bottom of the seventh. However, after a series of walks, senior Kristen Towne and sophomore Linda Laeufer were able to find the ball and helped tie the score up, 9-9. Junior Lauren Bucolo was then able to capitalize on a fly ball, hit by freshman Michiko McGivney, and scored the winning run. The Red finished up the day with a 7-7 Ivy League record in a season that has been filled with splits. Day two started off well as the Red maintained a 4-1 lead well into the seventh inning. However, Penn was able to score three runs in the top of the seventh, followed by two more runs in the final frame to pull ahead in a last minute rally. Freshman Meg Parker found herself on the pitcher’s mound and managed to only scatter five hits in a total of six innings. Game two started off close as well, with Cornell able to answer Penn’s two run lead in the first inning. With a tied game, Penn was able to pull ahead by one run in the fourth, and secure the lead with three more runs in the final inning. Cornell was unable to score after its initial comeback in the first inning, finding itself unable to secure its fifth league title.Although the women ended the team’s run for the title, Cornell heads into this weekend preparing to face Ivy League opponent Princeton on Saturday and Sunday. Additionally, the women will play a doubleheader against local opponent Ithaca College Thursday at 3 p.m.

Original Author: Anna Fasman