WOMEN’S LACROSSE | Laxers Near End of Regular Season

The Red finishes up the 2013 regular season Saturday at Schoellkopf Field against Boston University, days after the team’s thrilling 17-11 win against Binghamton on Tuesday. Cornell (9-5, 4-3 Ivy League) tied a season high in goals with 17 as freshman attacker Emily Tripodi tied the school’s single game record of assists with six. Cornell will enter the game against Boston (6-8) with a two-game winning streak while looking ahead to its playoff matchup against Penn in the Ivy League Tournament.“I would say looking at the Binghamton game, we excelled both on the draw control and in the offensive end,” Salisbury said. “Emily Tripodi had a lot of really nice feeds, which really helped out the offense.”The offense was plentiful on Tuesday night against Binghamton (2-11) as sophomore attacker Lindsay Toppe netted six and senior attacker and captain Caroline Salisbury added four. Toppe now has 43 goals on the season and 54 points, both of which are top on the team. Tripodi’s seven-point performance brings her to second on the team in points with 41.“However, I would say we did not bring a full 60 minutes to the game and did not play with quite the energy and support for our teammates we normally play with,” Salisbury said. “So, looking ahead to Saturday, backing each other up and going hard the whole game is going to be a major focus.”Saturday’s matchup against Boston will be only the second time the two teams have met in program history.“Boston University has one really good girl on offense, [Danielle Etrasco], so shutting her down in the game is going to be really important,” Salisbury said. “Another big focus is limiting the number of turnovers we have and getting the ball cleanly down the field in transition.”Cornell will also honor six seniors during the game who have combined for 143 goals and 46 assists. It will mark the last home game for senior goaltender Courtney Gallagher who has nine wins and over 100 saves in her career.“It’s our last game on Schoellkopf, so we’re definitely going to bring a lot of positive energy and emotion into the game,” Salisbury said.After the regular season ends on Saturday, Cornell will travel to Philadelphia on Slope Day to play against Penn in the Ivy League Tournament. The Red will be the No. 4 seed in the tournament and, with a win against the Quakers, will play either Dartmouth or Princeton May 5 for the league title.

Original Author: Scott Eckl