Cornell Plantations to Receive Environmental Conservation Award

The Cornell Plantations’ Natural Areas program will be the recipient of the tenth annual Richard B. Fischer Environmental Conservation Award, the Town of Ithaca’s Conservation Board announced Monday.

The program earned the award for its active and positive contributions to the Town of Ithaca’s environment, according to a town press release. The press release added that the Plantations program protects and manages nearly 600 acres of natural areas and is responsible for more than 3,400 acres of “biologically important” sites within the Finger Lakes region.

“Their commitment to sustainability, continuous work maintaining recreational access to nature and dedication to teacher citizens about nature stewardship in and around Ithaca make us glad to have them in our neighborhood,” the press release said.

The award is named after the late Prof. Richard B. Fischer Ph.D. ’53, environmental education, who helped improve the quality of the environment in the town, Tompkins County and the State of New York, according the the Town of Ithaca’s website. During his time at Cornell, Fischer penned hundreds of scientific articles and taught students about the practice of environmental  conservation.

Previous recipients of the award include Cayuga Compost, EcoVillage at Ithaca and the Ithaca College Natural Lands Committee, according to the Town’s website.

The award will be presented to representatives from the Plantations’ Natural Areas program at a tree planting ceremony on May 11, according to the press release.

Original Author: Tyler Alicea