Daniel Werfel ’93 to Serve as IRS Acting Commissioner, Obama Says

Daniel Werfel ’93 — a graduate of Cornell’s School of Industrial and Labor Relations — will serve as the acting commissioner of the Internal Revenue Service starting May 22, President Barack Obama announced Thursday.

Werfel was appointed after a conservative watchdog group revealed that IRS officials targeted conservative groups applying for tax-exempt status, subjecting them to improper scrutiny, according to The New York Times. In the aftermath of the scandal, IRS acting commissioner Steven Miller resigned Wednesday at the request of Treasury Secretary Jack Lew, according to The Times.

In a statement Thursday, President Obama praised Werfel, describing him as a bipartisan leader who would be capable of leading the IRS.

“Throughout his career working in both Democratic and Republican administrations, Danny has proven an effective leader who serves with professionalism, integrity and skill,” Obama said. “The American people deserve to have the utmost confidence and trust in their government, and as we work to get to the bottom of what happened and restore confidence in the IRS, Danny has the experience and management ability necessary to lead the agency at this important time.”

Werfel has served as the controller of the Office of Management and Budget since 2009. In addition to working in the OMB, Werfel has also served as chief of the Financial Integrity and Analysis Branch, budget examiner in the Education Branch and policy analyst in the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, according to the White House’s statement.

Werfel also has a masters degree in public policy from Duke University and a law degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, according to The New York Times.

Original Author: Emma Court