Cornell Athletics’ Top 10 Moments From 2012-2013

Most students return to the Hill this semester after spending a few months filled with jobs, vacations and hopefully a bit of rest, but we at The Sun return to anything and everything related to Cornell athletics. With the start of a new semester comes a host of different sports. Just like the Class of 2017, Cornell’s teams enter the second half of 2013 with clean slates and a chance to prove what the Red is really made of. But, as the saying goes, Rome wasn’t built in a day, and it’s always important to look back at the past year and the accomplishments of our 34 athletic teams as we move into the future. Here are our picks for the Top 10 moments of the 2012-2013 season so far.

1.     He Made History! – Kyle Dake ’13 was the first wrestler to win his fourth national title in four separate weight classes in collegiate wrestling on March 24th, 2013. He is one of only three wrestlers to win four national titles total in NCAA history.

2.     Making Magic – The men’s soccer team won its first outright Ivy League title since 1977 by defeating Columbia, 1-0, on November 10th, 2012.

3.     It’s a Hat Trick – Cornell’s women’s ice hockey team took home its third ECAC Championship thanks to a 2-1 win over Harvard on March 10th.

4.     Twin Wins – The men’s tennis team also made Cornell proud as it won the Indoor ECAC Tennis Championships for the second season in the last three years.

5.     Fighting Season – The Cornell men’s lacrosse team advanced to the NCAA tournament but were defeated in the semi-final round by Duke. Throughout the 2013 spring, the Red went 14-4 and Rob Pannell ’13 graduated as the DI leading scorer.

6.     He’s Going Pro – Rob Pannell ’13 became Cornell’s second two-time Tewaaraton Trophy finalist on May 9th and was signed to the New York Lizards to eventually become the MLL Rookie of the Year on August 14th. He currently holds the longest points-scoring streak in the nation — notching at least one point in each of his 69 career games with the Red. He also has the lead for the most career assists of any active player in Division I men’s lacrosse at this time.

7.     Take Back The Turf – Men’s track and field won the IC4A Outdoor Championship on Ivy League-rival Princeton’s home turf, claiming the turf for the Red for the first time since 1951.

8.     The Women Win Too – The women’s track and field team placed eighth at the ECAC outdoors with 31 points on May 12th. Victoria Imbesi ’12 broke her own school record with a throw of 158’ 10” to take the ECAC title. The Red also claimed its first back-to-back Ivy League conference championship as a team, since it won seven straight from 2002-2008.

9.     It’s Monday Night Football Time – J.C. Tretter ’13 was drafted to the Packers in the fourth round to join Green Bay. Luke Tasker ’13 agreed to terms on a free agent contract with the San Diego Chargers and became one of 23 undrafted players to join the team.

10.  Welcome Home – David Archer ’05 was named The Roger J. Weiss ’61 Coach of Cornell Football by Athletic Director Andy Noel on Jan. 3. Archer was a former captain for the Cornell football team in his time with the Red and also helped recruit extensively in the past.

With the start of a fresh semester and the beginning of the season for eight Cornell teams — cross-country, men’s soccer, women’s soccer, field hockey, football, sprint, volleyball and men’s tennis — Red fans should get excited, get their tickets and get ready for some great games.

Original Author: Haley Velasco