Stephen Gottlieb ’57, Former New York State Lawmaker, Dies at 77

By CAROLINE FLAX

Former New York lawmaker and judge Stephen Gottlieb ’57 died Sunday, according to the Associated Press. Family members say Gottlieb — who was 77 — died of heart failure.

At Cornell, Gottlieb served as treasurer of the Student Council, according to a 1956 Sun article.

After he graduated, Gottlieb attended New York Law School and worked as a lawyer at the New York State Legislature. He was then elected to the N.Y. Assembly as a Democratic representative for Manhattan in 1968, the AP reported.

While working as a representative, Gottlieb — along with with former New York City Assemblymen Stephen Solarz and Charles Rangel — came back to the Hill Dec. 9, 1969 to hear from students on their opinions on campus unrest, abortion laws and drugs.

During that meeting, Gottlieb said he was supporting a bill brought forth by former Assemblywoman Constance Cook — who represented Ithaca — that would repeal state abortion laws.

“There are 30 legislators committed to sponsoring Assemblywoman Cook’s bill this year, as compared to three last year,” Gottlieb said in a 1969 Sun Article. He attributed this to the “well organized clamouring of women’s groups.”

Gottlieb served as an Assemblyman until 1972, after which he became a commisioner for the state Liqour Authority, according to the AP. Five years later, he also became commissioner for Crime Victims Compensation.

He was elected to be a Civil Court Judge in 1994, the AP reported, being re-elected for a second 10-year term in 2004. He retired in 2006.

Gottlieb is survived by his three daughters — Christine, Suzannah and Lindsay — his son Peter, two grandchildren and two siblings. His wife Carol died in 1996, according to the AP.