Arts Around Ithaca | Week of Halloween, 2013

The arts and entertainment staff let you know about the most interesting events happening in Ithaca this week.

Neko Case

at 8:00 p.m. on Tuesday

at State Theatre of Ithaca

As one of our most anticipated Ithaca concerts of the year, Neko Case’s upcoming gig at State Theatre is a can’t miss. A highly lauded musician and past member of The New Pornographers, Neko Case has spent her career “combin[ing] her passions to develop a signature sound that blend[s] contemporary rock, pop and country elements,” according to NPR. This has been especially true since the musician went solo in 2001 and lost her “boyfriends.” In September, Case released her newest album The Worse Things Get, The Harder I Fight, The Harder I Fight, The More I Love You, which has been called “magnificently weird,” “cutting” and “emotionally wrenching” by Pitchfork.

The Hands of Orlac

8:00 p.m. on Thursday

at Sage Chapel

In case you haven’t heard of The Hands of Orlac, or if you weren’t born 80 years ago, the 1924 silent horror film follows pianist Paul Orlac, whose hands are destroyed in a railroad accident. Said hands are surgically replaced after this accident, but Orlac’s new hands are those of a murderer — They are meant to kill. This offering from Cornell Cinema should be a fun way to do Halloween right (read: spooky).

Guster

at 8:00 p.m. on Sunday

at Emerson Suites in Ithaca College

Formed by bandmates Adam Gardner, Ryan Miller and Brian Rosenworcel at Tufts University in 1991 — after a (clearly successful) Wilderness Orientation program — Guster have come a long way since their humble college beginnings. A perennial favorite among frat bros, pop-rock fans and nostalgic “millennials” alike, the band has built a strong, diverse following through electric live performances —and by not taking itself too seriously.