MEN’S LACROSSE | Coach DeLuca ’98: Reasons for Dismissal ‘Still Remain Unclear to Me’

By AKANE OTANI

The University’s silence over its dismissal of former head men’s lacrosse coach Ben DeLuca ’98 has outraged dozens of alumni and parents alike, who insist the community deserves transparency. But the man at the center of the debacle, Ben DeLuca ’98, says he has no better an idea than anyone else why he was fired.

“For reasons which still remain unclear to me, after 17 years as a student-athlete and coach in the men’s lacrosse program at Cornell University, I will be parting ways with the University and move on to the next chapter in my professional career,” DeLuca said in a statement released Wednesday by law firm Dinsmore & Shohl. It was the first time DeLuca spoke publicly since the University announced he had been dismissed last Thursday.

Administrators have said little about why DeLuca was fired, citing the need to retain confidentiality over personnel issues. In an interview with The Sun Wednesday, President David Skorton said the dismissal was “not just based on one incident.”

DeLuca has a long history at Cornell, having played on the men’s lacrosse team as an undergraduate before rising to the ranks of head coach three seasons ago. (Tina Chou / Sun File Photo)