Arts Around Ithaca | Company, POWERDOVE, The Temptations

By SAM BROMER and ARIELLE CRUZ

Company on Saturday at 8:00 p.m. at The Flex Theatre

This Saturday one of the last plays of the semester will hit the Schwartz’s Flexible Theatre: Company. Based on a collection of one-act plays written by George Furth, with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim, this musical comedy was one of the first musicals to deal with heavy adult themes — and it did so successfully, raking in six Tony awards for its original production. In fact, it’s one of director Danny Bernstein’s ’14 favorite musicals. See it at the Schwartz before finals consume your art-loving soul. —  Arielle Cruz ’15

POWERDOVE at 8:00 p.m. on Friday at Cornell Cinema

Powerdove, the improvisational rock trio formed by Prof. Annie Lewandowski, p.m.a., is coming to Cornell Cinema. The acclaimed group also features the gleefully unhinged guitar work of John Dietrich — of Deerhoof fame — and Thomas Bonvalet on percussion, electronics and banjo. Accompanying Powerdove will be several avant-garde music videos.  — Sam Bromer ’16

The Temptations at 8:00 p.m. on Wednesday at State Theatre

To many R&B and Soul fans, the Temptations are as talented and influential as the Beatles. This argument is not without merit: The group was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1989 and ranked the 68th-greatest band of all time by Rolling Stone Magazine. Amazingly, the group still performs to this day — albeit with only one remaining member of its original lineup. So please, succumb to your temptation to see them at the State Theatre. — Sam Bromer ’16