Roads Reopened as Flooding in Cascadilla Creek Recedes

By TYLER ALICEA

One week after flooding began in the City of Ithaca as a result of ice jams in multiple creeks, officials say they are “cautiously optimistic” about conditions throughout the city.

Cascadilla Gorge completely froze last Monday, causing ice jams to form throughout creeks in the city. Flooding has since receded in areas surrounding the Cascadilla Creek, and many streets which were previously unnavigable are now open, according to a statement released Sunday afternoon.

In order to mitigate the effects of the ice jams, city workers pumped warm water into the affected creeks, which helped allow water to under any remaining ice towards Cayuga Lake.

Mayor Svante Myrick ’09 thanked city workers and volunteers for assisting during what he described as being “a rare event.”

“Our Department of Public Works, Ithaca Police Department, Ithaca Fire Department and City Hall staff worked tirelessly for six straight days to keep everyone safe while breaking up the jams, and neighborhood volunteers from all over the County came together to fill and distribute thousands of sandbags,” Myrick said on Facebook.

In response to the flooding, Myrick declared a local state of emergency Tuesday in order to secure outside resources, should they become necessary. Throughout last week, the city also closed various unnavigable roads, as well as the Ithaca Falls.

In order to assist residents who live in the Fall Creek area, the City of Ithaca opened the Green and Seneca Street parking garages Friday evening without any charge, according to a press release. Odd-even parking regulations remained in effect despite the adverse road conditions.