WOMEN’S HOCKEY | Icers Record Back-to-Back Wins

By BEN HOROWITZ

Cornell played back-to-back games against regional rival Colgate this weekend, visiting Hamilton on Friday night and returning to Lynah on Saturday afternoon. The Red came away with two consecutive wins, coming out on top in Friday’s overtime thriller, 4-3, and again defeating the Raiders (7-21-2, 4-14-0 ECAC), 3-1, on Saturday.

With the two wins, Cornell (18-3-4, 13-2-3 ECAC) is now only one point behind Harvard for first place in the ECAC. According to junior forward Jillian Saulnier, the two wins set a positive tone for the final stretch of the season.

“It’s [a] huge confidence boost coming off a two-win weekend,” Saulnier said. “It says a lot about our team moving forward and no game from now on will be easy. It’s going to be a challenge, and then we’ll get into playoff hockey, where things really matter. I think we united very well, and as long as we continue to do what we’ve been doing, we should have a successful season.”

Friday’s game was a back-and-forth affair throughout, with no team gaining a lead greater than one goal throughout the game. Cornell scored first both games. According to Saulnier, this was an encouraging sign, because the Red has had some trouble scoring first at other times this season.

Connor Archard / Senior PhotographerSaulnier scores | Junior forward Jillian Saulnier scored the game-winning goal for the Red against Colgate with 19 seconds left in overtime