EDITORIAL: Sing Your Way Through V-Day

Last year, the University changed the academic calendar and added a new break that begins on Feb. 14. We at The Sun wanted to shed some light on how Cornellians plan to celebrate this Hallmark holiday. So we enlisted our best Berry Patch reporters — who were drowning under half-eaten chocolates and ripped-up rose petals — to find out how students plan to spend Cupid’s favorite day of the year through song.

Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It): From Beyoncé’s lips to students’ ears, the anthem is really resonating with single Cornellians this year. Some ladies and fellas are grabbing their friends and heading out on the town to celebrate the holiday of love — in leotards and dance line formations, of course.

So Sick: One lonely junior told The Sun that she is “so sick of love songs.” So, evidently, wallowing in bitterness is an option for some this weekend. These sad individuals will be spending Valentine’s Day throwing their exes’ stuff into a gorge.

We Are Never Getting Back Together: Paying homage to Taylor Swift, the heartbroken segment of the student body say they’ll be spending V-Day like the pop/country artist likely did the day after the 2014 Grammys: decked out in all black, eating Bonbons and sulking à la Jessica Biel in the 2010 film Valentine’s Day.

Home: Of those leaving the Hill for the long weekend, many are heading home to their families. Although these Cornellians may not be spending Valentine’s Day the traditional way with a lucky someone, these students say they are looking forward to some Q.T. with the ’rents.

Two Is Better Than One: The happiest among the Cornell student body claim they are spending the day with their significant others. According to highly accurate empirical surveys conducted by our Berry Patch reporters — with an impressive sample size consisting of people who entered CTB between 1 and 3 p.m. yesterday — a whole host of celebrations will take place. Students say they intend to exchange gifts, do cutesy things together and share romantic dinners at swanky Collegetown restaurants like CTP.