WOMEN’S BASKETBALL | Red Splits in Ivy Competition

By JOEL COOPER

Cornell’s women’s basketball team saw mixed results this weekend, first defeating Dartmouth but then coming up short against Harvard the following day. The Red came into the games level in conference play at 3-3 and 12-9 overall. This record was improved after an impressive 78-59 win over Dartmouth. However, Cornell was unable to replicate the win the following day, falling to the Crimson, 84-69.

Freshmen forwards Nia Marshall and Nicholle Aston led the charge against Dartmouth, combining for 24 points on 12-of-13 shooting in the opening half. Marshall was named Ivy League Rookie of the Week for the fifth time last week. Senior forward Allyson DiMagno also played a strong game against the Green, registering 18 points, 16 of which came in the second half.

The opening of the game was a tight affair, with the two teams trading baskets until the Red scored nine unanswered points just after the 14:20 mark. Cornell then managed to push its advantage out to 10 points with a big three from senior guard Shelby Lyman. Though Dartmouth made it a four-point contest just before the close of the half, the Red kept extending its lead and secured the 78-59 victory.

According to freshman Kerri Moran, it was the hard work and the “never-say-die” attitude that helped Cornell to the win.

“Against Dartmouth we definitely never gave up, even when they went on a run,” Moran said. “We stood strong and worked together as a team to pull out the win.”

The next day, current Ivy League leader Harvard posed a much stronger test. Despite a valiant offensive effort led by senior Stephanie Long’s season-high 17 points and DiMagno’s second double-double

Connor Archard / Senior PhotographerLong ball | Senior guard Stephanie Long had a season-high 17 points with three three-pointers in the loss to Harvard on Saturday.