SWIMMING & DIVING | Sali Sets Two Records at Ivy League Champs

By JOHN McGRORTY

This weekend, the Cornell men’s Swimming and Diving team traveled to Cambridge, Mass. to compete in the Ivy League Championships at Harvard University. The Red recorded 561.5 points over the weekend, concluding its season with an eighth place overall finish in the Ivy League. The squad also saw many individuals achieve success, breaking personal as well as school records.

Freshman Dylan Sali finished sixth in the 200-backstroke and recorded an NCAA B time to cap the weekend. Sali set a pair of school records early on in the weekend, breaking the 100-back record with a 47.70 split as part of the 400-medley squad on Thursday, only to best his time again on Friday with a 47.61. He finished in third place for the Red and posted an NCAA B cut time. He stopped there, however, failing to clinch another in his backstroke event on Saturday. Senior Ben Catanese also made the C final on Saturday, coming in 18th place with a time of 1:48.86. Sophomore Zac Cesaro stepped in for Catanese as an alternate in the evening session and placed twenty-third overall with a 1:51.62, just shy of his prelim time of 1:50.49.

“Although we didn’t place well overall as a team, [the] Ivy Championships were a great experience,” junior diver Thomas Hallowell said. “The Championship meet gets faster and faster every year, and being able to set some school records this year really made it a great meet all around.”

CHRIS PHARE / SUN STAFF PHOTOGRAPHERSenior Ben Cantanese made the C final in the 200-Back, coming in 18th with a time of 1:48.86.