TENNIS | Men Sweep, Women See Mixed Results

By OLIVIA WITTELS

The men’s and women’s tennis teams both had a busy weekend, hosting four competitors and playing back-to-back matches. On Friday, the men kicked off play against Middle Tennessee State University and edged out the Blue Raiders for a 4-3 decision. The Red won two of its three doubles matches against the foe, with freshman Bernardo Casares Rosa and junior Alex Sidney cruising towards an 8-1 victory at the No. 3 spot. Junior captain Sam Fleck and freshman Chris Vrabel captured the doubles point at the No. 1 position with an 8-5 win.

The doubles point proved crucial, tipping the scale in the Red’s favor as the team split its six singles matches with MTSU. The Red struggled with doubles play in earlier matches this season, so earning the win off the doubles point definitely boosted team morale, according to Fleck.

“We won both doubles points this weekend pretty convincingly, against good teams,” Fleck said. “That gives us a lot of confidence going forward that we can continue our success in doubles.”

Fleck also added that with the current depth of the squad, the doubles pairings are not as rigid as they were last season.

“Last year we had very set doubles pairs at one, two and three but this year it’s a little bit more open. … I think it will depend on who’s playing well at the time and who pairs up well together,” he said. “We have a few more options if guys are playing really well or if people are struggling a little bit.”

On Saturday, the Red followed up its win against MTSU with another victory against the fiftieth ranked team in the country, the University of Nebraska. Fleck and Vrabel teamed up again at the No. 1 doubles spot for an 8-3 win. Junior Jason Luu and freshman Colin Sinclair won their match, 8-6, at the No. 2 spot to secure the doubles point for the Red.

At the No. 6 singles spot, Sinclair was down in his match against Nebraska’s Brandon Videtich, but rallied to win in three sets, 2-6, 6-0, 6-4. Sinclair’s win also clinched Saturday’s match for Cornell. Sophomore Stefan Vinti, freshman Casares Rosa, and Vrabel all won their singles matches against Nebraska at the No. 2, 3, and 5 spots, respectively.

Despite being new to the world of college tennis, the Red’s freshmen class has been performing well thus far.

BRIAN STERN / SUN STAFF PHOTOGRAPHERJunior Captain Sam Fleck captured the doubles point with partner, Chris Vrabel, at the No. 1 position to left the Red to a 4-3 decision.