Streeter MBA ’95 to Serve as Cornell Vice President

By ANUSHKA MEHROTRA

Paul Streeter MBA ’95, assistant dean for finance and administration at the College of Veterinary Medicine, will serve as Cornell’s vice president for budget and planning beginning April 1, the University announced Wednesday.

Elmira Mangum, the current vice president for budget and planning, will leave the University to become the first female president of Florida A&M University, The Sun reported in January.

Streeter will manage the University’s annual budgeting process and provide guidance in using resources to meet Cornell’s objectives and academic needs, according to a University press release.

He previously served as interim vice president for budget planning from 2008 to 2010 and has worked at Cornell for 28 years — starting his career as a cash manager in the office of the treasurer — the University said.

Streeter said he believes he has “something to offer” as Vice President for Budget and Planning.

The heart of Cornell is at the unit level,” Streeter said in the release. “So understanding those needs, helping serve the units and meeting those needs while still dealing within the university framework is the key.”

Due to “newly structured” changes made to the role of vice president of budget and planning, Streeter will report to both Provost Kent Fuchs and Joanne DeStefano, vice president for finance and chief financial officer, the release said.

The Cornell Board of Trustees Executive Committee approved his nomination Wednesday.

• mention

Is this real life?

• WhistleblowerHappyValley

Very insightful piece, Mr. Kairey.

There are many who benefit from racial devision and victimization – hey they make money being on talk shows!

However, I would be angry as well if my family and I were relegated by the government to poor neighborhoods, poor housing, poor medical care and poor schools. It’s a system that perpetuates itself and has done so since Johnson’s ” The Great Society”was devised.

I was heartened to see the following video – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUSRZo1BE5o&feature=share

• Alum

Bravo! Finally some logic on this issue. It’s time to do away with the mob and media mentality.

• Mike Reno

This is a well written article, but it catches the situation in the present moment and not in the entirely of its history. As an analogy, say a parent may walk into a room and see one sibling acting very wrongly in the moment and then chastise that child for his or her behavior. What is not properly addressed by the parent is the unseen behavior first inflicted upon the currently misbehaving child that brought about the moment. This is a common thing that siblings do, and some get very good at making the victim look like the perpetrator when the attention is finally drawn in from outside.

We as a people within this nation often have acted in the very same ways with each other, and likewise, some have also become skillful at timing the outside attention. A century and a half has passed with an institutional form of this injustice ongoing, with one group mistreating another group, and then when an event pulls in the national attention, the first steps back and says, “Oh, look how badly they are behaving.” Yes, the behavior is wrong, but far worse is the unseen turmoil and harm performed beforehand.

When this occurs over an extended period, with one group constantly becoming both victimized and vilified by the other, there should be no surprise when we find the behavoir itself becoming as institutionalized as the injustice that caused it. Likewise, the institutional injustice becomes normalized in the minds of the perpentrators. When this point is reached, NO ONE will act or think clearly, for those in power will have become set in seing their position as justified by the very behaviors they have caused, and the victims will see their position as unending, therefore deciding if any action on their part brings them only more pain, then chosing the behavior that also inflicts pain is better than any that does not.

So truth become irrelevant, for it becomes a hindrance to healing when only the truth that harms is the truth solely expressed, The ‘facts’ that are needed to justify behavior then become the ‘truth’ more so than any facts that can be demonstrated, for the demonstrated facts will have been filtered throught the same system of injustice as the behaviors the fact attempt to describe. Truth is indeed irrelevant in this scenario. It serves no purpose. We are witnesses today of this condition, with Fergusion only the camera’s focus for the moment, but the scene is played out nationwide and has been throughout the ages.

• Mike Reno

• Adam Jenson

The truth is that Brown was a thug who robbed a convenience store and assaulted a
    sales clerk just minutes before the shooting. You can’t use the excuse “people like me were pushed around 50 years ago therefore I have the right to push around innocent people today”. You can’t justify injustice with more injustice.

Brown is entirely responsible for his own actions. There was no mysterious institutionalized discrimination that forced him to steal and assault that sales clerk. So far I have seen no evidence that Brown was EVER a victim of discrimination. Brown has no excuse for what he did.