Around The Ivies: Striking Double-Headers Mark Ivy Baseball Week

It has been an exciting weekend in Ivy League men’s baseball, with many squads sweeping double-header wins. On Sunday, Penn swept Dartmouth, 4-0, 7-4, to earn its eleventh-straight victory and an 8-0 start in conference play. The Quakers came from behind to take the win in the second game, with Dartmouth getting three hits in the first inning and then hammering out two solo home runs in the bottom of the third. Penn recovered in the top of the fourth, however, on a pair of doubles that would drive in three runs to tie it at 3-3. The Green scored a run in the fourth for the final time in the game, with the Quakers driving the rest of the game home for a final 7-4 finish. Yale also posted a double-header sweep this weekend, defeating Princeton 2-1, 4-2. The Bulldogs’ triumph handed the Tigers its first Ivy League loss of the season. Princeton slipped to 4-2 in the Ivy, while the Quakers maintain a perfect 8-0 record. Cornell also took both games in its double-header against Brown this weekend, earning 4-1, 6-5 victories. Senior Chris Cruz came up big in game two to help the Red clinch the win, breaking a 1-all tie in the seventh inning of the opener with a two-run double followed by a home run.

ENOCH NEWKIRK / SUN STAFF PHOTOGRAPHERCornell’s JD Whetsel pulled a two-run double to left field in the contest against the Bears to give the Red a 6-4 lead in game two.