Cornellian Charged With Stalking, Cuts Arm With Knife in Front of Victim

By ANNIE BUI

Editor’s note appended

Police responded to a report of continued harassment in Collegetown Saturday afternoon after a Cornell student cut himself and made vague threats outside a woman’s house.

Michael Viehl ’16 stopped his vehicle outside the victim’s residence around 4 p.m., retrieved a kitchen knife from inside the vehicle and cut his arm in front of the victim.

He also made several vague threats and refused to leave the residence — located on Linden Avenue — until police were called, according to the release. Police then located Viehl, where he voluntarily turned himself in and provided a statement.

Viehl was subsequently arrested and charged with stalking in the fourth degree as well as harassment in the second degree, according to police. He was transported to the Ithaca Town Court and arraigned by Judge James Salk, where he issued a complete stay away order of protection and released Viehl on his own recognizance.

The victim also identified Viehl as having harassed her and her roommates in the past, despite prior police involvement. In August, the victim had contacted police with reports of similar harassment and threatening behavior, after which police warned the defendant to cease all contact with the victim.

According to University Spokesperson John Carberry, Viehl was enrolled at Cornell as of Wednesday.

Editor’s note: A previous version of this story identified the house address where the incident took place. Since its original publication, we have removed the house number in order to further protect the victim’s identity.

Share this:EmailShare on Tumblr