SWIMMING AND DIVING | Red Tops University at Buffalo

By JOHN MCGRORTY

This past Saturday, the Cornell men and women’s swimming and diving teams began their 2014-2015 campaign with a scrimmage against the University at Buffalo. Held in the Teagle Hall pool, the scrimmage served as a fundraiser for the Breaststroke 4 Hope organization. The Red raised $2,600 for the organization and started the season off on a positive note with a strong showing in the pool.

Senior Thomas Hallowell said that he thinks the positive momentum from the scrimmage will carry over into the dual meets coming up.

“The team had a great weekend that will definitely give us momentum as we enter the competitive season,” he said.

Hallowell also said the scrimmage was valuable in allowing freshmen to get their feet wet early on in the season.

“This meet was an opportunity for freshmen to have their first swims in college and there were some really strong swims. While the meet was not scored, we won a lot of close races and had great success all around,” he said.

Senior Timothy Satterthwaite also said he felt the experience was positive, praising the Red for achieving better results against Buffalo than ever before.

“The team as well as the coaches are extremely happy with how we swam at the buffalo scrimmage,” he said. “We had better success against them than we ever had in the past with swimmers posting times that we are used to seeing in late November as opposed to mid October.”

Senior co-captain Eric May won the 200 freestyle event to help the Red top the University at Buffalo in the sqaud’s preseason scrimmage. (Chris Phare / Sun Staff Photographer)