Developer Breaks Ground on Dryden South

The first layers of concrete for the Dryden South building will be poured Friday, and from there the project will “start going up very quickly,” according to Patrick Kraft, developer of Dryden South and owner of Kraftees book store.

Located at 207 Dryden Rd., the first floor of Dryden South will be visible by Thanksgiving, Kraft said. By the time Cornell students return from their break in January, the majority of the building’s framework is expected to be standing, with full completion slated for Aug. 1, 2016.

Construction begins on the Dryden South apartments in Collegetown. Developers hope to complete the project by next August. (Yichen Dong / Sun Staff Photographer)

“Kraftees Collegetown will be on the first floor, and all of the upper floors will be housing that was designed specifically to accommodate Cornell students,” Kraft said.

Floors two through five will contain four-bedroom suites, with two large penthouse suites on the sixth floor for a total of 40 beds, according to the Dryden South website. Each suite will have two baths and be fully furnished. Floor plans currently indicate that bedrooms will have 130-140 square feet of floor space and 9.5 ft ceilings. Heat and hot water will also be included in the rent. The basement will contain a fitness center, garbage facilities, bike storage and laundry.

Although a number of leases have already been signed for the 2016-2017 academic year, Kraft said there are still rooms available.

“I feel that this building will have a city within a city feel. Everything you will need to survive the school year will be there,” said Kraft in reference to the included amenities and the products sold at Kraftees.

Some of the lower floors have even lowered prices, Kraft added.  Pricing for rooms on floors two through five is currently $1,190 per month.  Pricing for rooms on the top floors is $1,390 per month.

Kraft also expressed excitement about the new Kraftees atmosphere he envisions on the ground floor of Dryden South.

“It will be much more retail friendly,” he said. “What I’m going to try to create there is a collegiate Big Red store. When you come in there, it will exude Cornell.”

Kraft said that Kraftees will retain its function as a bookstore while updating its presence as a retail space.  He added that he expects increased retail traffic from the building being constructed directly next to his.

“Having the Johnson School next door is very exciting,” Kraft said, referring to the Johnson School of Management’s plans to become a tenant in the building under construction adjacent to Dryden South.

“Students are essentially going to feel like they are on campus,” Kraft said. “The comfort and happiness of the students is a primary driver for decision making.”