JAIN | Fuller House and Stuff

W

hat ever happened to predictability? This question often haunts me late at night. Whether your answer is innovation in the television industry or increased competition between networks and online streaming services, we can all agree that there’s never really been a better time to be a TV viewer. With unpredictable shows like Master of None, House of Cards and Transparent available at the flick of da wrist, we never really have to settle for the same, boring sitcoms of the past. But what if you just really want to watch a shitty old sitcom?

Everywhere you look, someone is probably watching Netflix. If you walk through the sixth floor stacks, you might catch me watching a quick episode of Love or Louie in between classes. While these shows have positive ratings on Metacritic, I’ll admit I do have one embarrassing guilty pleasure. I love Full House. As a son of Indian migrant parents, the show has always been a way for me to  peek into the lives of the traditional American family. Just kidding. But Full House has always been able to provide me with plenty of giggles and heartwarming moments. You can probably imagine my euphoria upon hearing Netflix’s recent release of Fuller House, a spinoff of the beloved ’90s sitcom.

Whether it’s the milkman or the paperboy, almost everyone I know was talking about Fuller House this month. When I finally started it, I was not disappointed. The first episode plays out like a Full House fan’s wet dream. Everyone’s favorite family is back under the same roof one last time, with the exception of the Olsen twins, but let’s be honest, they’re entirely too cool for a Full House spinoff anyway. The family has gathered back in their Full House home to take it all in before Danny sells it. However, after learning of DJ’s struggles as a recently widowed single mom, Danny gives the home to DJ, and Kimmy and Stephanie stay back to help her raise her family. It’s like Full House, but with girls!

When I’m feeling lost out there and all alone, I usually seek out things I’m comfortable or familiar with. Fuller House is essentially this. As many critics have already concluded, Fuller House is pretty much the same Full House characters playing out the same old Full House plots. That doesn’t necessarily have to be a bad thing. Don’t get me wrong, Fuller House is a god-awful show, but that’s okay. It’s kind of like watching your good friend’s terrible improv group. You understand what you’re in for, prepare yourself for the occasion and somehow the laughs come. It’s not about the quality of the jokes, it’s all about the familiarity and love you have for your old friend.

When watching Fuller House, there’s a heart (there’s a heart) to the show. Every character seems genuinely happy to be working with their old co-workers again. While some of the cast has found more success than others, there doesn’t appear to be any jealousy or animosity amongst the actors. In every interview the cast has done, a certain emphasis has been placed on the idea of family. While it may sound hard to believe, it appears the Fuller House cast has found a way to consolidate their Full House chemistry, and it’s a beautiful thing to watch. Netflix just renewed the show for another season, so it seems we’ll never escape San Francisco’s favorite sitcom family, and I’m not complaining.

Akshay Jain is a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences. He can be reached at [email protected]. College Stuff appears alternate Wednesdays this semester.