Brittney Chew | Sun Assistant Photography Editor

Cornell women's track and field team will travel to Princeton to face the other seven Ivy League schools this weekend.

Following Second Place Finish at Indoor Championship, Women’s Track and Field Prepares to Knock off Harvard

The Cornell women’s track and field team is looking to one up its second place finish Indoor season as the team travels to Princeton, N.J. to compete in the Ivy League Outdoor Championships.

The team will be entering the competition as one of the top squads in the Ivy League competing in the weekend-long event. The Red boasts some of the fastest times and furthest throws and jumps in the conference. In order to be sitting at the top when the dust has settled, the women will need all the pieces to come together.

“They are going to put up a good fight,” head coach Rich Bowman said of the Red. “I expect the team to fight tooth and nail and continue with what they have been doing all year long. They are prepared for the challenge.”

“This weekend is going to be very exciting. Our close placement to Harvard during the Indoor Heps has done nothing but increase our motivation to succeed at the Outdoor Heps,” said sophomore Leah Triller.

Junior Taylor Spillane noted that size of the upcoming meet is one of the most intimadating parts of competing in the Ivy championship.

“There are so many competitors, so many spectators and lots of alumni that show up to these meets,” Spillane said. “This is challenging because as a competitor you still need to be focused on your event, or events. The most important thing is to continue with your routine and not change things just simply because it is a larger meet.”

The Red has competed in a string of big meets all season long, including high quality meets in California over spring break.

In February at the Ivy League Indoor Championships, the Red lost to Harvard, 136.4-123.5.

Jason Ben Nathan | Sun Senior Photographer

“I believe that the team is continuing to be very positive about our trajectory throughout this season,” Spillane said. “The expectations are that we are going to fight for every point that we can and we are going to put our heart and soul into whatever event we are competing it.”

Despite the bigger stage, the Red is looking to continue with what it has been doing all season.

“Personally, I am focusing on staying composed and relaxed. Big meets such as this one can add an extra layer of stress to the competition,” Spillane said.

Bowman agreed, saying that the team is merely trying to think of this meet as another day at the office.

“We have been in big meets all year so this isn’t a big meet in comparison: there will only be seven other teams,” Bowman said. “We have been on the big stage all over the outdoor season we have been to California, the Penn relays. It shouldn’t be any differ from what they are used to.”

Part of that mindset is maintaining a certain attention to detail in each event and enjoying the chance to compete for Cornell, according to Spillane.

“Our team has had a very strong focus on controlling the things that we can and not worrying about those things that we cannot control,” Spillane said. “The expectations are that we are going to enjoy and capitalize on the amazing experiences and opportunities that we have been given.”