Cameron Pollack / Sun Photography Editor

Renovations are expected to continue on the Ag Quad throughout the next academic year.

Summer Construction Advances Ithaca Projects

The first phase of several construction projects — which began early this summer on areas of the Ag Quad, Engineering Quad, Collegetown, Gannett and the Vet School — will continue throughout the academic year, according to architects.

Ag Quad

Reconstruction of the Ag Quad will progress throughout the year, concluding in the 2017-2018 academic year, The Sun previously reported.

While summer construction focused on the Eastern end of the quad, renovations this year will primarily focus on this end of the quad before moving into its West and South quadrants.

The project aims to improve the quad’s safety — with the installation of 20 new light poles, three Blue Light phones and an emergency vehicle access path — as well as encourage more social atmosphere with the addition of stone benches and other outdoors furniture.

Collegetown

Residents were allowed to begin moving into the Dryden South Building Thursday after a summer of construction, according to 14850.com. Minor issues and touch ups, including painting and trim linger, but have not delayed residents arrivals.

The new Dryden Eddy Apartments, located at 327 Eddy Street, are not yet complete and the tentative move-in date for students is set for August 26, according to Jesse Lupica ’18, one of the apartment’s future residents.

Lupica, who is staying with friends until his apartment opens, said the delay “is not unexpected, because completion of the project was an ambitious goal.”

“It definitely has made the start of the year more stressful, [however], especially with a full schedule of classes and the career fair starting next week,” he said.

Sections of Dryden Road will also be affected by underground utility work in upcoming weeks, according to a City of Ithaca press release.

The release added that impacts on traffic were minimized or delayed during Cornell’s move-in weekend, and said students should expect increased delays over the first few weeks of the year.

Campus

Several on-campus projects will continue throughout the school year, including the expansion of Gannett, construction on the Vet School and renovation of Upson Hall on the Engineering Quad.

Gannett — which will be rebranded as Cornell Health after its completion in August 2017 — has temporarily moved services to a new Campus Road location, while its previously building undergoes expansion and updates its facilities, The Sun previously reported.

Upson Hall is scheduled for completion in August 2017, with construction beginning on its third through fifth floors this year. Its first and second floors will be renovated in the second phase of the plan, according to The Ithaca Voice.

Construction on the Vet School is expected to conclude by June 2017, after the installment of a new library on the building’s third floor and renovations of its classrooms and labs, The Voice reported.