Josh Girsky / Sun News Editor

Changes to the system include allowing mixed-gender housing and larger block sizes.

Naked Student on West Campus Was Reacting Badly to Prescription Medication, Fraternity Official Says

A Cornell student was restrained by the police at approximately 2:30 p.m. Monday, after behaving erratically on West Campus following an allergic reaction to prescription medication, according to Imtisal Qadir ’18, president of the Theta Delta Chi fraternity.

Police responded to reports of the man — who is a member of the fraternity — running on West Avenue without clothing, according to Police Chief Kathy Zoner.

Qadir said the student called 911 himself once he was aware that he was responding badly to the medication.

“[He] called 911 while in a state of panic but then, afraid that he wasn’t going to receive help in time, ran out to ask passersby for help,” Qadir said.

Lylla Younes ’17, who witnessed the incident, said she called police after hearing “intense yelling” Monday afternoon.

“I looked down and there was a guy taking his clothes off and running around the intersection of [West Avenue and University Avenue],” Younes said. “He was hitting the windows of the cars that passed by.”

Sanjay Banda ’18, who also saw the event, added that the student “kept screaming out that he needs an ambulance and he’s dying.”

Cornell and Ithaca Police arrived within a few minutes to detain him, and the man “was not coherent when we were interacting with him,” Zoner said.

The student was transported to a local hospital Monday night and is still undergoing treatment, according to Qadir.

University Resources: Members of the Cornell community seeking support can called Gannett Health Services’ Counseling and Psychological Services (607-255-5155), EARS peer counseling (607-255-3277), the Faculty Staff Assistance Program (607-255-2673), the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1-800-273-8255) or find additional resources at caringcommunity.cornell.edu.