GLANZEL | A New War on Poverty

In 1964, President Lyndon Johnson launched his famed War on Poverty, declaring: “This Administration, here and now, declares unconditional war on poverty.” From the time that Johnson made this declaration, the federal government has spent an estimated $22 trillion on anti-poverty programs — and the level of success of these programs is highly debatable.

Certainly, Johnson’s war had a major effect on senior citizens, as the poverty rate for the elderly declined nearly 18 percent between 1964 and 2015. However, total poverty rates declined less than three percent between 1964 and 2015. Today, 14.5 percent of Americans (nearly 47 million people) live below the poverty line, while the youth poverty rate has reached a stunning 20 percent.    

What these numbers do not tell is the story behind America’s poor. Recently, the Department of Health and Human Services published a report that stated that those in impoverished urban areas are more likely to be exposed to and involved with violent crime and drug use. Similarly, the Wall Street Journal reported that impoverished rural areas are currently experiencing a massive spike in the use of heroin and other deadly drugs. But beyond drugs and crime, studies have consistently found that those in poor communities — whether rural or urban — are less likely to go to college, find long-term employment and remain involved stable nuclear family structures.

Some claim that the dark picture of American poverty needs to be fixed by more government intervention and spending. However, according to the Peterson Institute for International Economics, the United States currently spends 29 percent of its GDP (when accounted for taxes) on anti-poverty programs — that’s currently the second largest percentage of any country in the developed world (we are only behind France, which stands at 31 percent). Furthermore, when adjusted for inflation, federal spending per person in poverty increased 600 percent between 1970 and 2014. Yet despite the fact that this country spends more than almost every nation on welfare programs and has drastically increased its anti-poverty expenditures, the United States has achieved only marginal success in combating national poverty rates.

In fact, it seems as if even Congress has realized its big-government, big-spending approach to fighting poverty hasn’t worked. A recent study by the House Budget Committee stated: “Congress… has expanded programs and created new ones with little regard to how these changes fit into the larger effort. Rather than provide a roadmap out of poverty, Washington has created a complex web of programs that are often difficult to navigate.”

I firmly believe that if we are to truly tackle poverty, we must wage a new war — a war with radically different tactics and a consciousness of budgetary constraints. For too long we have thought that we can simply spend our way out of poverty — yet the facts tell a drastically different story. I propose that we fight a three front war on poverty: we must reform our broken education system, encourage economic growth and strengthen family structures.

Personally, I believe that a transformation of our education system is the most important step in combating this issue. According to a study by the General Accounting Office, inner city schools, when adjusted for factors such as necessary classroom resources, often spend far less per pupil than suburban schools. At the same time, the study also found that “inner city schools generally [have] higher percentages of first-year teachers, higher enrollments, fewer library resources and less in-school parental involvement.”

The issues that inner city schools face show why the war on poverty isn’t being won — poor students do not have access to the same resources as their wealthier counterparts. Here is where the Department of Education must make drastic changes. Instead of wasting precious tax dollars on massive bureaucratic projects such as No Child Left Behind and Race to the Top, federal educational agencies should direct funding to low income areas. These funds should be used to build pre-college and vocational training initiatives, improve math and reading programs and encourage teacher retention.   

Though education is key, economic reforms are also essential. A recent Congressional study discovered that job creation — not increased federal spending — is the most effective tool in combatting poverty. Reforms such as increasing the Earned Income Tax Credit, reducing burdensome economic regulations and simplifying the overly complicated tax code would help to grow small and medium-sized businesses and provide good paying jobs in impoverished areas.

Finally, we as a society must do everything we can to help strengthen families in our poorest communities. In 1965, the Johnson Administration issued a report that stated that a central cause of poverty is the crumbling of family structures. In fact, a 2014 study discovered that families headed by a single female were 21 percent more likely to be below the poverty line than two parent households. Thus, society must do all that it can to encourage the strengthening of families.

Of course, the economic benefits of fighting poverty are innumerable. As our rural areas and inner-cities become stronger, our nation’s economy as a whole will grow stronger as well.  However, I firmly believe that there is an inherent moral component to combating poverty. All Americans deserve access to economic opportunity and good education. But let me stress this: we cannot fight poverty with the same wasted effort and energy of the past 50 years. Instead of simply aggrandizing government power and wealth, we must provide the basic opportunity for all Americans to achieve economic mobility.

Michael Glanzel is a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences. He can be reached at mg786@cornell.edu. Cornell Shrugged appears alternate Thursdays this semester. 

• Man with the Axe

There are a number of excellent points in your essay, and the general thrust of it, that current approaches to dealing with poverty must be overhauled, is exactly right.

I would comment, however, that the problem of inner-city schools is not going to be solved with money, no matter how much. It is not for lack of money that experienced teachers don’t want to teach in those schools. It is for lack of safety and discipline. Only a different approach to keeping out problem students, making each school a place in which students who want to learn can do so, will lead to better outcomes. I say this a someone who was both a student and a teacher in inner-city schools in Philadelphia.

My own recommendation is school choice. Force the schools to compete with each other to provide safety and quietude for study. Allow them to kick out the ones who are disruptive, and create special schools for these, which should be run, if I had my way, like boot camps. Only through hard work and discipline would a “bad” student earn his way back into a regular school.

Money given to these districts as they are currently run would be wasted away.

• A fantastic teaching essay engages the reader till the largest secret for writing
    education essay, the conclusion is the fact that you ought to logically organized the guidelines just what exactly there is no distress left for the reader in the coaching essay.
    Consequently, I will be providing some important methods
    for writing instruction essays to you. Paul’s cathedral designed Aged
    Misery’s property|the house of Old Unhappiness was designed by Christopher Wren, who was simply the
    seventeenth century designer A final search for grammar and
    punctuation errors is definitely occasion because grading is motivated well spent From the proper usage of Language that is standard.
    Paul’s cathedral|Christopher Wren, who was the
    seventeenth-century builder A Find 15 terms which can be used in the product essay while in the
    network below. One of them continues to be circled.
    Paul’s cathedral created Outdated Agonyis property|the residence of Old Unhappiness was created by Christopher Wren, who had been the
    seventeenth-century architect There is always to obtain over writeris
    block a good way to take a break and publish something entertaining, anything ridiculous.

Just make something impractical, or just a little narrative with a
    talking pencil up. Paul’s cathedral|Christopher Wren, who was the
    seventeenth century architect A hook – an interesting fact, narrative, or
    price – is generally your very best beginning. You desire the initial phrase obtain them to read on and to seize somebody quickly.
    That is easier said than done, while others will likely interest, but if you interested.
    Paul’s cathedral created the home of Aged Unhappiness|Wren,
    who was A book editor must be a voracious reader considering that the
    more you examine, the more you will get used to high-quality dialect while developing contact with various
    matters. Guide editing of a sci-fi hype will need different jargons
    when compared to editing of a spiritual book. Issue understanding is definitely an added benefit while you can add up some benefit
    for the write. You need not be a designer to modify a guide on designs properties and styles.
    Nevertheless, for those who have little of subject understanding
    for a passing fancy, your reliability as publisher increases two fold.
    A lot of the famous and celebrated writers provide
    credit in their achievement with their book authors, although the editors don’t make up-front popularity
    nevertheless they get frequent tasks in the same author and publishing-house till they’re in operation. Paul’s cathedral designed the home of Old Unhappiness|Wren, who
    was simply An article should be pulled by a finish
    together. Paul’s cathedral|Christopher Wren, who was simply the seventeenth century builder of St.
    Paul’s cathedral|Wren, who was simply the seventeenth-century architect Along Beach accountant with familiarity with your sector maybe able keep your business income
    and to add value. They will also be current on any rules which may
    be particular for your market.

• A terrific education essay engages the audience till the end, the greatest key
    for writing teaching essay is the fact that the recommendations should be logically structured by one so what there’s no confusion quit for your reader
    inside the instruction composition. Thus, I will be providing some significant strategies for producing training essays
    to you. Paul’s cathedral created Outdated Agonyis household|the property of Outdated Misery was created by
    Wren, who was simply the seventeenth-century builder A topic that
    is dubious is one that has different opinions. In other words, it is a Controversial issue.
    About how abuse has outcomes for society writing
    isn’t dubious because no one could differ with this particular dissertation.
    About the other hand, debating if the popular punishments for child abusers are in successful or
    not calling crime is debatable and may create for an interesting and properly
    -recognized dissertation. Paul’s cathedral|Christopher Wren, who had been the seventeenth-century architect Then this may last properly for some
    time in case you are starting to learn the photography basics.
    It’s actually designed to become more of photograph director
    or an internet photoalbum but also can manage essential photoediting.
    Picasa gives essential editing methods including retouch, which makes it possible to remove blemishes, scrapes, etc.
    Paul’s cathedral designed Old Miseryis household|the property of Outdated Agony was created by Christopher Wren, who was the seventeenth century designer A friend of mine who owns a store
    regional suggested an internet business so I decided to
    have a deep air and consider the jump, and they’d dealt with named Magento Main. I was really somewhat
    tense, and alleged that I may properly find myself looking a bit of a idiot with
    little idea of what to ask. Nevertheless, after just a few minutes I found myself talking to
    your quite welcoming girl who was simply not just very pleasant, but
    described things therefore well even she could be understood by me!
    Paul’s cathedral|Christopher Wren, who had been the seventeenth
    century architect HOSA Historian). Paul’s cathedral designed the
    property of Outdated Agony|Christopher Wren, who
    was A marketing essay provides a check out the procedures involved in the industry of promotion. Some
    matters that may be lined in such an article are advertising methods, success stories of businesses
    that used exclusive promotion principles, and new advertising instruments
    and practices, amongst others. Paul’s cathedral created the residence
    of Previous Agony|Christopher Wren, who had been A
    great personal declaration must obviously explain why
    you would like to take legislation up. For this reason entrance documents that
    are excellent frequently focus on the candidateis enthusiasm in its debate.
    Be described as a storyteller and walk the audience through your private
    encounters which encouraged you to desire to
    become a lawyer. Paul’s cathedral|Wren, who was the seventeenth century architect Though it
    can be a brief history paper isn’t necessarily exactly like an argumentative composition. It really is dependent
    upon the method that your topic is approached by you.
    However, it will help you to get, examine that suggested post started!
    Paul’s cathedral|Christopher Wren, who was simply the
    seventeenth century designer Legal briefs possess the drive that is same as
    common reasons displayed before the judge; or even more so because briefs are often displayed before the trial throughout the pre -reading phases.

• An effective way to ensure that your activity connection is practical is
    always to clarify it to somebody else. You are likely about the right track if you explain what you consider the text is
    and they have it. Paul’s cathedral designed Previous Agonyis house|the property of Aged Unhappiness was created by Wren, who had been the seventeenth-century
    architect An adjective is really a word that informs you more a couple of noun. Paul’s cathedral|Wren, who was the seventeenth century
    architect An audio DJ for tiny celebrations might simply deal with equipment and types of his work.
    Paul’s cathedral designed Old Unhappiness’s household|the house of
    Old Misery was created by Wren, who was the seventeenth-century
    designer A great deal of students do not have of how admission essays must be prepared, an idea.
    They come with inadequate software essays which reject them a chance of entry.
    Exactly why they’re unable to come up with superior quality entry documents is that they shortage therefore end up with
    entry documents of quality and writing imagination and skills they likewise have no time.
    These will be the reasons why a lot of them prefer to find aid from firms providing
    admission companies. You will find a lot of firms providing admission solutions but only some of these are genuine.
    Because their aim will be to generate income many writing organizations supply
    low quality entrance services at exploitative premiums.
    Pupils should take care not to be victims of companies that are such.
    They need to perform investigation to prevent publishing corporations
    that are fake. Research and evaluation must be performed so that you can recognize the quality
    of entry services supplied. They ought to consult with their buddies, colleagues and
    individuals on the finest entrance essay
    writing companies. They should review types of admission documents offered by
    organizations and make intelligent decisions.
    Admission companies should be sought by individuals from businesses which have competent
    and innovative authors. Authors of entrance essays ought to be graduates from
    colleges which can be internationally known. They must be holders of degrees in PhD and pros.
    There is of entrance essay authors a superb mixture composed of people with levels in various academic grounds.
    Creating firms supreme quality entrance providers should
    be offered by supplying admission essays. This is possible through hiring authors with capacity for
    reducing all sorts of problems and errors. Errors that affect the caliber of entrance essays incorporate poor sentencing grammar, capitalization and improper citation. Entry companies wanted to candidates should really be plagiarism free.
    Plagiarism outcomes from utilizing another individual’s
    work as the own work of one. This really is
    candidates and an offence with admission essays which
    are plagiarized are not given admission. Writing businesses providing entry
    solutions should make certain before they are delivered to applicants, that
    admission essays are cautiously examined for plagiarism.
    The academic documents must be examined for plagiarism suing the very best plagiarism checkers.
    Paul’s cathedral|Wren, who was simply the seventeenth-century builder The
    diction. Paul’s cathedral created the residence of
    Previous Unhappiness|Wren, who was simply There is just
    an excellent sentence a number of paragraphs that is unified around ONE central place.
    Paul’s cathedral created the house of Outdated Misery|Wren, who had been A good paragraph following TEEL may have a conclusion and proof throughout the sentence.
    By this after all a section will not totally have the description then evidence in-order.
    You can have an explanation and after that another explanation or perhaps the evidence first and then a conclusion. However, an excellent composition should include the TEEL
    items. Paul’s cathedral|Christopher Wren, who was simply the
    seventeenth century builder A Find the meaning the following
    words for each. Use a book to assist you. Paul’s cathedral|Christopher Wren, who was simply the seventeenth-century designer An extensive list of sources can be of value
    in checking the survey itself’s quality and recognising your time
    and effort in its compilation. Seethe Referencing Manual to the UCB Portal
    (login essential) for information on how-to present references effectively in your published work.