Brittney Chew | Assistant Photo Editor

Junior Katie Carlson notched two goals in Cornell's 4-0 over Lock Haven.

Cornell Bounces Back Strong With Win Against Lock Haven

Back to back goals in the second half from junior forwards Katie Carlson and Krysten Mayers blew open Sunday’s game against Lock Haven (3-3, 0-1 A10) for Cornell field hockey (4-2, 0-0 Ivy). The 4-0 win was an important step for the team as it looks to carry its momentum into Ivy League play.

“It was good to get the [win] under our belt,” said head Coach Donna Hornibrook said of the game. “We scored some goals and got the shut out so there were a lot of positives in that game.”

After a close one to zero defeat at the hands of Stanford (2-4, 0-0 America East), it was important for the Red to get back on track offensively. The team’s offense was certainly in a groove on Sunday, with Carlson and Mayers leading the way.

Carlson added two goals to continue her impressive 2016 campaign; she now leads the Red in scoring with five goals on the season.

“Katie has definitely had the potential all along to become a solid goal scorer,” Hornibrook said. “She has found a knack around net and has a good sense of timing.”

Mayers scored one goal and assisted on another against Lock Haven. While Mayers is a pure goalscorer, she has found other ways to contribute this season, setting up numerous goals with her brilliant passing.

“[Mayers] has become a player who can really create opportunities for us,” Hornibrook said. “She has a well-rounded approach.”

Senior midfielder Katy Weeks also put in some very solid minutes for the Red, facilitating play through both ends of the field and notching two assists. Weeks set up junior forward Gaby DePetro for her first goal of the season.

One strength for the Red this season has been the team’s fitness. Cornell has been able to outwork opponents in the second half because of the team’s top-notch conditioning.

“Our fitness has been a benefit for us,” Hornibrook said.

Fitness could also be one of the factors that has helped the Red defensively. Cornell is holding opponents to an average of just one goal per game so far this season.

Junior goalkeeper Kelly Johnson has been lights out as well. Although she has not been forced to defend a lot of shots so far this season, Johnson has made several key saves for the Red.

Cornell will open up its Ivy League season against a talented Penn (4-1, 0-0 Ivy) team at home on Saturday. The Red is well prepared for the match and understands what it will take to get the win.

“[Penn] has shown in the past that they have the ability to put goals in net,” Hornibrook said. “They are a consistent team and certainly one of the more talented teams in the Ivy League.”

Cornell will only focus on what it can control however, and that means executing on both sides of the ball. If Carlson and Mayers can continue to produce as they have in recent games, Cornell will be in a solid position for to earn a victory.

The Red will take on the Quakers on Dodson Field at noon on Saturday.