Michaela Brew / Sun Senior Editor

Interim President Hunter Rawlings announced that Cornell will increase student security measures after multiple acts of violence on or near campus.

Rawlings Announces Increased Campus Security After Two Stabbings

Interim President Hunter Rawlings announced the implementation of new campus security measures Friday, reacting to two stabbings that have occurred on or near Cornell’s campus in the past five weeks.

Many students and parents were shaken by a stabbing on Stewart Avenue on Wednesday evening, especially given its close proximity to the death of Ithaca College student Anthony Nazaire in late August.

In an email sent out to the Cornell community Friday, Rawlings stressed that there is no current threat to campus. However, the interim president announced that the Cornell University Police plan to increase their patrols and said there will be an increased number of Blue Light Escort teams available to students, with quicker wait times for the service.

Rawlings reiterated the Ithaca Police Department’s claim that Wednesday’s stabbing was not a “random act of violence” because the victim and suspect appeared to know each other.

He also echoed the police assertion that no one involved in the incident had any relation to Cornell and said the incident was in no way related to the fatal stabbing of Nazaire.

Rawlings encouraged students to educate themselves on ways to stay safe during an emergency and to contact Ithaca Police Department if they have any information on both recent stabbings.

“Safety is our top priority as violence has no place on or near our campus,” Rawlings said in the email. “Members of the administration, including CUPD and Gannett Health services, remain actively engaged to promote the safety and well-being of all.”