MCPHERSON

MCPHERSON

Wings Over Ithaca Owner Faces Grand Larceny Charges

The owner of Wings Over Ithaca, Bruce McPherson, 47, was charged with 26 felony counts for sales tax evasion Tuesday, according to the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance.

McPherson was charged with second degree grand larceny, second degree criminal tax fraud, four counts of third degree criminal tax fraud and 20 counts of first degree offering a false instruments for filing, according to the release. He pleaded not guilty to the charges at Albany City Court on Tuesday.

McPherson allegedly failed to submit sales tax returns to the NYS Tax Department between December of 2010 and May of 2015 and knew the returns “purposely understated the amount of tax owed the state by at least $221,601,” the release stated.

If convicted, McPherson will face up to 15 years in prison, in addition to possible civil fraud penalties that would double the cost of the taxes he owes, according to the release.

“As this case shows, we take these accusations very seriously and will go to great lengths to ensure that those who fail to meet their obligation to collect and pay NYS sales tax face justice,” said Acting Commissioner Nonie Manion.

The Massachusetts resident owns and operates M&C Wings, LLC and runs Wings Over Ithaca, which is located at 335 Pine Tree Road.

• ILR Alum

Meanwhile Trump hasn’t paid taxes since ’95

• Buisness Alum

Shame the ILR School failed to cover the elementary concepts of taxation. Apparently the curriculum focused more on left wing politics and shooting off one’s mouth.

• netizen_james

Shame the business school failed to cover basic civility.

• Business Alum

Wow, James, citizen of the net, I forgot, only weenie left wing comments allowed, regardless of how off point they may be. Everyone and everything else is just not civil. By definition, right? I better stop least you pull out all stops and call me a bully.

• Hotelie Alum

A cautionary tale that should be taught in the Hotel School. Cheating on sales and employee taxes is pretty easy to catch and the time spent in prison is not worth the crime, so I’m told.

• Reality Check

Where is the reporting on what effect, if any, the sales-tax charges will have on the operation of Wings Over Ithaca?

• Petra Cosgrove-Tremblay

Their last day in operation was yesterday. 🙁

• Wings Over Addict

Wings Over was my favorite restaurant while I was a student. I would order from them through the good times and the bad times, all the time. I even moved to an apartment complex close to East Hill Plaza my senior year just so I only had to make a short drive to pick up Wings Over. It’s quite a shame their operation has not been upstanding, but I hope they can right their wrongs and continue operating so future Cornellians can still enjoy those delicious delicious Garlic Parmesan wings in the wee hours of the morning.

Long Live Wings Over!

• Petra Cosgrove-Tremblay

The local management and staff knew nothing about this, and found out earlier this week, when the rest of us did.

They closed their doors yesterday.