Jason Ben Nathan | Sun Senior Photographer

Penn's victory over Cornell in the Trustees Cup assured the Quakers a share of the Ivy League title for the second consecutive year.

Around the Ivy League: Yale Upsets Harvard; Princeton, Penn Capture Titles

Yale’s stunning win over Harvard knocked the Crimson from its three-year perch at the top of the Ivy League. With Harvard’s loss and wins from Penn and Princeton, the Tigers and the Quakers are co-champions of the conference. Brown and Yale tied for fourth, Columbia and Cornell took sixth and Dartmouth placed last.

Known as “The Game,” the clash between Harvard and Yale is one of the most storied rivalries in all of football. In the 133rd matchup, the Bulldogs came out on top, shocking the Crimson, 21-14, in Cambridge, Mass. Harvard entered the game as the heavy favorite. Searching for its 10th straight win in the series, the Crimson struck first, but a pair of Yale scores put the Bulldogs out front early in the third quarter. After Harvard tied it at 14, Yale scored a touchdown with four minutes left. Harvard’s first drive to tie it up sputtered out. The next drive made it to Yale territory, but the Crimson turned the ball over on downs, losing the game and a shot at the conference title.

Princeton scored three touchdowns in the fourth quarter against Dartmouth to capture a share of the title. The Tigers trailed the Green early at the half, but the offense found its groove and Princeton went on to win 38-21. The Tigers’ John Lovett, who exploded for seven touchdowns against Cornell, notched three scores to bring his season total to 31 — 20 rushing, 10 passing and one receiving. A year after winning the league title with a 6-1 in-conference record, Dartmouth sputtered to a 1-6 league record, last in the league.

With nothing but pride to play for, Columbia and Brown squared off in Providence, R.I. The Lions overwhelmed the Bears, gaining 150 more yards of offense than Brown. Columbia first-year wide receiver Josh Wainwright finished with 129 receiving yards and two scores. Columbia’s three wins on the season are the most for the Lions since 2010.