Sigma Phi Epsilon House / Aubrey Akers Sun Staff Photographer

Aubrey Akers / Sun Staff Photographer

Sigma Phi Epsilon Placed on Interim Suspension

The Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity has been placed on interim suspension status by the Office of Sorority and Fraternity Life.

The suspension status was enacted on Feb. 2 due to a violation of the University Recognition policy, according to a University statement.

Interim suspension status means that the fraternity “may not engage in any activities other than operation of its residence” the statement said.

The statement added that the status is used when the University receives credible reports that the safety of the members of the fraternity may be at risk, compelling it to cease activities of the organization. However it did not give any details on the report it received or any incidents.

Interfraternity Council President Drew Lord ’18 said that although they do not comment on active investigations, the IFC has full confidence in the staff of the Office of Fraternity, Sorority and Independent Living, as they conduct their investigation.

The new suspension marks the first disciplinary action for a fraternity this year after seven fraternities were investigated for hazing allegations last year.

• Dean Wormer

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

• Educated student

This witch hunt in the Greek Community that has been going on for the past few years is both atrocious and unrepresentative of Cornell’s values. Cornell should be ashamed.

• Dean Wormer

The time has come for someone to put his foot down. And that foot is me.

• Chiraag Kapoor

I object!

• Bill

Fake news??????

• Russell sutton

I could not find the name of the college involved. Without it is false news at it’s worst.

• cornell student

This is so dumb. This is one of the fraternities on campus that actually doesn’t haze…

• sigh………

Frats are stupid and really pretty counterproductive to the goals of a university, but if we’re going to have them, we should recognize that all frats haze. That’s a fundamental part to it. It’s like saying frats shouldn’t encourage underage drinking. That’s practically their primary function.

• Ignoramus

You are mentally ill

• Jesus

Saying all frats haze and promote underage drinking is like saying everyone who isn’t in greek life is weird and asocial. It’s a stupid stereotype.

• Marion Wormer

I feel like rewatching Animal House..not sure why???

• Greek Alumnus

I challenge the reporter to stay on this story and ask tough questions of OFSIL. Whats’s the purpose of suspending ALL chapter activities, including chapter meetings? When the days of interim suspension turn into weeks and sometimes months, ask OFSIL whether the offending behavior persists. If not, then ask: if students are no longer at risk, why is the suspension still in place? If the chapter ultimately is punished, is the punishment commensurate with the offense? Would other student activities, such as a sports team, receive the same punishment for the same offense?

• Jonathan Strong

The story is woefully inadequate. For example, the reporter failed to interview a single member of the fraternity.

• Tim Tebow

ANONYMOUS REPORTING? This will kill us

• Jack Rogers

https://cm.maxient.com/reportingform.php?CornellUniv&layout_id=41

This isn’t even news anymore. You can do everything right and get a summary suspension. This is getting out of hand

• Bill Nye
  • Greek Alum ’77

They need to go on double secret probation.