Michael Li / Sun Assistant Photography Editor

Cornell Chimes to Play Grateful Dead Commemoration Concert

Exactly 40 years after the Grateful Dead rocked Barton Hall in one of their most famous performances ever, The Cornell Chimes will be playing some of the band’s famous songs on Monday at 6 p.m. from atop McGraw Tower.

Liz Field, communications specialist at Cornell Information Technologies and a self-described “Deadhead” said she wanted to commemorate the show at Barton Hall because it was “one of the most beloved shows in the Grateful Dead’s 30-year touring history.”

“I asked the chimesmasters if they would play a song,” she said. “At first, it was a simple request, but I’ve since become the promoter of the event, working closely with The Chimes on setting up the event, publicizing it and handling questions from people on the event page and in the press.”

After Field reached out to Chimesmaster Serim An ’17, Cornell Chimes began planning arrangements for the concert.

“We didn’t have any Grateful Dead music in our repertoire, so we had to spend some time listening to the music and trying to make it work for the chimes, because we only have 21 bells so not every song is possible to play,” An told The Sun, adding that practice would begin on Tuesday.

An and past chimesmasters chose their favorite Grateful Dead songs, some of Field’s suggestions and other hits from the 1960s and 1970 for the concert.

“For this specific concert, I arranged two songs, but there are four other chimesmasters who arranged music specifically for this concert,” she said. “We were all really excited about how so many people are excited about this event. The Grateful Dead has never been played on the chimes before and there are so many people coming on the Facebook page.”

Field and many others are eagerly anticipating the concert.

“It was such a wonderful surprise to see that within 24 hours there were more than 1,000 people interested in the event” on Facebook, Field said.

More than 2,500 people have said they are interested in the event on Facebook as of Monday night.

The debut of The Cornell Chimes concert coincides with the release of bootlegged recordings from the 1977 Cornell show, compiled into a disc set called “Get Shown the Light.”

The recording of the show will be available for download on May 5.

• Hotelie Alum

Some suggestions for an easy playlist that would sound great played by the Chimes:
    -Uncle John’s Band
    -Casey Jones
    -Box of Rain
    -Ripple

Close with a medley of ‘Turn on your Love Light / One More Saturday Night’

• -j-

Dark Star svp

• Man with office near the Clock Tower

I vote for “The Eleven,” with its baroque round.

• Tim Urley

Franklin’s Tower there hangs a bell.

• Paul

Where can I listen and/or see this performance?

• lachman

Yeah stream it live on fb.

• Steve

Here’s a link to the Facebook group for the Cornell Chimes. https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=cornell%20chimes%20play%20grateful%20dead

• Mitchell Murphy

Dancing in the street

• Paul Bell

Scarlet>Fire for sure.

• Karen

I thought the same!

• Danny

I just may have to take a road trip. This will be amazing! Wonder if any of the boys will be there to witness it.

• James H Decker

Jack Straw

• Tyrus Gerlach

What a crock..!!

• Bonnie Beavers

Our Cedar Lane Unitarian Universalist bell choir wants the arrangements when/if available!

• fred

Is the link for the download up?