Brittney Chew / Sun File Photo

Cornell's record against Syracuse now sits at 0-9-2. Pictured is Kennedy Yearby playing in the Syracuse games last year.

Women’s Soccer Remains Winless Against Syracuse With Season-Opening Loss

Want to keep up with everything Cornell sports? Sign up for our biweekly sports email newsletter and stay up-to-date with the Red. Click here!

The Dwight Hornibrook era for Cornell women’s soccer started out on the wrong side of the scoresheet, as the Red was blanked, 3-0, against its upstate rival Syracuse Thursday night.

With the loss, Cornell’s all-time record with Syracuse drops to 0-9-2, including a 2-1 OT defeat in Ithaca last season.

In Hornibrook’s debut at the helm of the program, Cornell struggled to shake off the early season rust, as the Orange’s tenacious defense limited the Red to just a single shot on goal, off the foot of senior co-captain Kaylee Fitzgerald.

Taylor Bennett put the Orange on the board with a 22nd minute penalty kick, and Kate Donovan added a pair of her own just minutes before and after the half for goals two and three. Junior goalie Meghan Kennedy made eight saves for Cornell before being subbed out for sophomore Chrissy Mayer in the 75th minute.

Cornell opens its home schedule this Sunday morning, Sept. 3, at 11:30 a.m. against Eastern Washington.

By the numbers:

Game Stats COR SU
Goals 0 3
Shots 2 16
Shots on Goal 1 12
Saves 9 1
Corners 3 4
Offsides 0 1
Fouls 4 4