Prof. Emeritus Richard Burkhauser was named to President Donald Trump's Council of Economic Advisers on Sept. 15.

Cornell Professor Burkhauser Joins Trump Administration

President Donald Trump has appointed Prof. Emeritus Richard Burkhauser, policy analysis and management, to the third and final position in his Council of Economic Advisers, the White House announced on Sept. 15.

Back in November shortly after the election, members of the Trump transition team reached out to economists to serve as policy advisors, according to NPR. Members of the team contacted Burkhauser to see if “[he] was interested in applying for a job” for the then-President-elect.

“I think it would be extraordinarily exciting to be part of an administration that uses Republican ideas to do something for workers in the middle who have not enjoyed the benefits of economic growth for the last 20 or 30 years,” Burkhauser told NPR back in November.

Burkhauser signed a petition against Hillary Clinton’s plan during the campaign season, and told NPR that he believed the Trump administration could grow the economy with a Republican controlled House and Senate after years of political gridlock.

Burkhauser is a professor emeritus of policy analysis and management in the College of Human Ecology, teaching his final courses — Introduction to Microeconomics and Economics of Social Security — in the fall of 2015.

Burkhauser joined PAM in 1998, and in 2012 began a joint appointment at the University of Melbourne’s Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research. Until 2015, he split his time between Ithaca and Australia, spending July through December at Cornell and the rest of his time in Melbourne. Burkhauser is currently at the LBJ School of Public Affairs at the University of Texas, and has split time in Austin, in addition to Cornell and Melbourne, since 2016.

Burkhauser’s research interests “focuses on how public policies affect the economic behavior and well-being of vulnerable populations … as well as how levels and trends in income and income inequality have changed in the USA and other countries,” according to his Cornell bio.

• actandurg

Had no idea this type of thinking existed at Cornell (other than in Business program) …. AWESOME !!!

• John Plugger Mellencamp

You’ll note he’s on his way out the day. Surely to be replaced with another socialist.

• actandurg

Probably right … but HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL.

• Happy Jack

Gutsy. Burkhauser and his family can expect endless hate mail from the ever-so tolerant Left.

• GubbaBumpkin

““I think it would be extraordinarily exciting to be part of an
    administration that uses Republican ideas to do something for workers in
    the middle who have not enjoyed the benefits of economic growth for the
    last 20 or 30 years,” Burkhauser told NPR back in November.”

“Republican thinking” is to lower taxes for the super wealthy while destroying labor unions. “Trickle-down” is a bad lie. “Supply-side” doesn’t work. Hopefully after Sam Brownback’s work in Kansas everyone learns the correct spelling of the Laugher curve.

• Ezra Tank

And how has the Democratic strategies worked out? Let me see Obama added $10 TRILLION to our debt (more than all the 43 Presidents before him combined), but hey at least he lowered the deficit. LOL.

• GubbaBumpkin

“And how has the Democratic strategies worked out? Let me see Obama
        added $10 TRILLION to our debt (more than all the 43 Presidents before
        him combined), but hey at least he lowered the deficit. LOL.”

Cleaning up the mess left when his predecessor crashed the economy took some work. Some day soon we will have another chance to view the result of Republican deregulation.

• Ezra Tank

So your idea of “cleaning up the mess” is to DOUBLE the National Debt?

Again let this sentence sink in I’ll type it in CAPS:

“OBAMA ADDED THE SAME AMOUNT OF NATIONAL DEBT THAT THE PREVIOUS 43 PRESIDENTS ADDED.”

He had 8 years dude. At what point is it his fault?

• Jay Wind

Are some of the comments left here about this article on Professor Burkhauser examples of “verbal marginalization of a disadvantaged minority group”? People from all across the political spectrum will start to run to the Judicial Administrator as soon as any “speech code” is adopted. If the speech code is adopted, will it apply to statements made by members of the Cornell community off-campus — both in Collegetown and in Washington DC?