Cornell University was ranked #10 on the Wall Street Journal’s 2018 college rankings.

Sun File Photo

University Announces New Commitments to Campus Diversity, Inclusion

After several incidents of racial bias led to widespread protests and anger on campus, Provost Michael Kotlikoff and Vice President for Student and Campus Life Ryan Lombardi announced a new philanthropic commitment to support low-income, first-generation students and gave updates on other University efforts toward a more inclusive campus environment in an email on Monday.

“We are committed to facilitating a campus environment in which all students, faculty and staff feel included and valued,” the administrators wrote.

Over the past year, Cornell has increased the staffing of several student support areas, and reframed the role of the dean of students to focus on resources that support students in cultural and identity development, according to the email. The search process led to the hiring of Vijay Pendakur, dean of students, as well as four additional staff positions in student resource centers.

Several initiatives are already underway, including the renovation of the space in CCC that houses academic student support programs and works to ensure that the Office of Academic Diversity Initiatives, the Intergroup Dialogue Project and the Learning Strategies Center are linked with student support programs to “deliver unified student support and advance inclusive academic success,” they wrote.

The two administrators also announced a philanthropic commitment from a Cornell alumnus to support first-generation and low-income student initiatives over the next five years, a gift that the University will use to hire a full-time staffer who will implement programs and support for this student population.

The University is also expanding the new Center for Teaching Innovation, an initiative that will devote new staff resources to help faculty address diversity and inclusion in the classroom and facilitate faculty-student conversations. The University will also build on their investment of $5 million per year in faculty recruitment and retention by enhancing a faculty task force focused on enhancing diversity of staff.

The University is also beginning a planning process to establish a central campus location for student resource centers that are part of the Division of Student and Campus Life.

“We will work with students, staff and alumni in the coming years to identify the right space and resources to realize this goal,” Kotlikoff and Lombardi wrote. “By co-locating these centers in one larger space, we will have the opportunity to preserve the unique character and work of each of these historic centers while capitalizing on new intersectional approaches to supporting our diverse student body.”

They also wrote that Associate Dean Renee Alexander ’74 has now assumed a new role as senior adviser to the dean, working with Pendakur to focus on campus climate issues. Marla Love is also joining Pendakur’s staff as senior associate dean for diversity and equity.

The administrators added that after four national searches for clinical staff in Counseling and Psychological Services since Spring 2017, three of the four individuals hired will “bring added diversity to CAPS and Cornell.”

“These steps represent important commitments to improving our campus and student support,” they wrote. “We look forward to continued discussions among the campus community as we move closer to fully realizing our founding aspirations.”

The statement followed an email from President Martha Pollack last week in response to the assault on Friday Sept. 15 of a black Cornell student, who said he was called the N-word several times and punched in the face by a group of white men. A week prior to the assault, a resident of the Latino Living Center reported hearing Zeta Psi fraternity members chanting “build a wall.”

Pollack wrote to students last week that in response to the “deeply painful” events, Cornell will develop and implement steps to be a more “equitable, inclusive and welcoming university,” including developing and enhancing programs and services that support diversity and inclusion on campus.

Pollack charged the dean of students to create and implement an alternative dispute resolution process based on restorative justice that can be a resource for students in addressing any future incidents, and said she would convene a Presidential Task Force charged with examining and addressing persistent problems of bigotry and intolerance on campus.

“For the vast majority of Cornellians who abhor these recent events, our community needs your help,” she wrote. “Please speak out against injustice, racism and bigotry, and reach out to support one another. Ours must be a community grounded in mutual respect and kindness.”

• Ezra Tank

Hey as long as we all look different … that’s what’s important, not the BEST PERSON for the job!!!

• Jonathan Pomboza

When is this not the case?

• Jay Wind

At the recent AD White Conference on Greek Life there was a break out session on race relations. It was lead by two gentlemen who happen to be African-American: Blayne Stone | Residence Hall Director, Donlon and Marcus Scales | Residence Hall Director, Ujamaa. What guarantees are there that a) these gentlemen were selected on objective criteria, and b) there was not a deliberate effort to select them to lead the workshop based upon their race?

Isn’t it ironic that the Office of Sorority and Fraternity Living was moved out of the Dean of Students Office just as the office was refocused to “support students in cultural and identity development”? One would hope that the ONLY cultural and identity development encouraged by the Dean of Students Office would be that of Cornellian.

• Guy

and yet…they allowed self selecting housing where certain groups can DENY people based on SKIN COLOR so people don’t have to mix…. What a joke the whole diversity identity politics charade is! All violence white on white…white on black…black on black…black on white should be abhorred….but the university seems to believe some require more of a BACKLASH. You empower offenders by treating this different than say a black person beating up a white saying some label…cracker, whitee, WHO CARES….punish the violence…and treat everyone with the SAME RESPECT! Would this be a lesser crime if the white guy beat up a Hispanic or white guy and called him some name?

• Jay Wind

Dear Guy. I believe you accurately describe the dilemma Cornell faces. In the late 1960s,a Trustee Commission looked at the problem and made fraternities and sororities not only remove exclusionary clauses from their own constitutions, but also made them get their nationals to do the same. A very courageous act. After the Straight takeover in 1969, Cornell resisted the idea of segregated housing. After Ujamaa was established, the NYS Board of Regents issued a policy against segregated housing. So, Cornell has required Ujamaa and the Latino Living Center to be open to non-blacks and non-Latinos respectively. However, Cornell has not been successful in enforcing that requirement. Cornell has always promoted integrated housing where students of all races, religions or ethnicities can mix, and Cornell has failed to address the problem of self-marginalization.

• Jonathan Pomboza

You think the problem is “self-marginalization”? I think the problem is that when minorities try to unite, the majority wants to break them apart.

• Jay Wind

I support Cornell students uniting on issues of public concern. Working together on issues promotes understanding and constructive dialog. Segregated housing promotes mistrust and destructive “demands” in which one minority student group seeks to gain at the direct expense of other student groups. We don’t need to politicize resource allocation between student groups, and the resulting mistrust and resentment.