Cameron Pollack / Sun Senior Photographer

Freshman goaltender Matt Galajda is the first Cornell men's hockey freshman to earn All-American honors.

Galajda Earns Sixth ECAC Weekly Honor Fresh Off 55 Save, Two-Win Weekend

Matt Galajda is building up quite the resume.

The ECAC announced Tuesday that Galajda, boasting a best-in-the-country in goals allowed per game of 1.47, was named ECAC Rookie of the Week for the third time this season. Galajda is also the reigning ECAC Goaltender and Rookie of the Month for January.

The nod comes off the heels of a successful weekend for the Red which saw 2-1 and 3-2 victories over Brown and Yale, respectively, thanks in part to Galada’s 55 total saves between the two contests.

The accolade is Galajda’s sixth ECAC weekly award this season, having been named the circuit’s top netminder three times along with his three stints as top freshman.

Galajda has received national honors in recent weeks, too, having been selected as the Hockey Commissioners’ Association Goalie of the Month for January. The freshman has also been named the NCAA’s First Star of the Week twice this season.

This upcoming weekend will see Galajda attempt to add another piece of hardware to his trophy case, as he looks to backstop the Red to its first Cleary Cup since 2005. The team can clinch the annual honor awarded to the ECAC’s regular season champion with a win or a tie in either contest this weekend. Cornell plays at 7 p.m. at Rensselaer on Friday and 7 p.m. at Union on Saturday.