Cameron Pollack / Sun Senior Photographer

The Red hosts Big 10 opponent Rutgers this weekend.

Women’s Lacrosse Prepares for Home Battle Against Rutgers

After taking care of Ivy League foe Yale last weekend, Cornell women’s lacrosse next takes on a Big 10 opponent, hoping to start a winning streak.

The Red (4-3, 2-1 Ivy) faces Rutgers (5-6, 0-2 Big 10) in an afternoon tilt on Saturday.

“We need to use that momentum against Yale to carry us through this week and into the game against Rutgers,” said junior captain Sarah Phillips.

This will be Cornell’s third-to-last nonconference matchup of the season.

“It is important to keep up our winning ways in order to get into a rhythm as we head into the back half of our season,” said assistant coach Bill Olin.

The Scarlet Knights also won their most recent game, downing Niagara, 14-8. Before that win, however, Rutgers had racked up a four-game losing streak. Despite this, Olin said the Red will not underestimate its competition.

“Our staff has a ton of respect for the Rutgers program and the product they put on the field,” Olin said. “They play a difficult schedule in the Big 10 and have played some great teams and tight games.”

Cornell’s focus against the Scarlet Knights will be improving its consistency.

“[We’ve taken] a step forward in our attack, defensive and draw units,” Olin said. “But we are still looking to get a complete 60-minute effort from all three areas.”

The Red has the overall advantage in the series against Rutgers, 13-4, but lost to the Scarlet Knights in 2014, the teams’ most recent meeting.

With no midweek game, the squad will have the full week to prepare for the match.

“We will be prepared to give a great scout in order to get our offensive and defensive units ready to go and confident for Saturday,” Phillips said.

The Red looks forward to playing at home before embarking on a two-game road trip.

“We are tremendously proud to represent the University at home,” Phillips said. “We have awesome fans supporting us so we try to use that element to our advantage and go out and get the win.”

The Red takes on Rutgers at 1 p.m. Saturday at Schoellkopf Field.