LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: In support of Derek Osborne for County Sheriff

To the Editor:

It’s time for a change! This year we have the opportunity to elect Derek Osborne as the next Sheriff of Tompkins County. He is totally qualified, including graduating from the FBI academy training! He has been promoted through the ranks of the Sheriff’s Office, including a promotion to Undersheriff by the current Sheriff, and he knows this community well.

Now more than ever we need a well-trained person with integrity and leadership to effectively manage and administrate the Office of Sheriff without overspending the budget like the current Sheriff.

We do not need a person like the current Sheriff who claims to have files on residents and elected officials or whom systematically destroyed a home over a DWI arrest warrant!

We desperately need a Sheriff who is up to date, who is accountable, and who understands the importance of a properly run County Jail by insuring inmates and staff are safe… and without demanding a new jail!

Most importantly we need a Sheriff that shows up and participates in our community, government and the daily operations of the Sheriff’s Office!

It’s time for a change! I urge all residents to join me in voting Tuesday, November 6 for Derek Osborne as the next Sheriff of Tompkins County.

Peter Meskill

Sheriff of Tompkins County 1999-2010

To the Editor:

I urge all residents of Tompkins County to vote for Derek Osborne for Sheriff.

Derek won the endorsement of the Tompkins County Progressives by a vote of 20-2. He has the experience and work ethic to bring back integrity, accountability and intelligence to the office of Sheriff.  He has worked with federal prison inmates in a community reintegration program in preparation for their release, which will serve our community well. Please join me on Tuesday, Nov. 6 and vote Derek Osborne for Sheriff of Tompkins County.

Dale Meskill